I'm trying to get more detail on this bike, please don't laugh

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bonker

Guru
My son has bought a Raleigh Rapide serial number NB7105224. I've had a go at tracking it down online and came up with 1977 which looks a bit early to me. He was going to use the frame for a fixed but now he has ridden the bike is thinking of restoring it. Is there an easy way of tracking down a catalogue to see what it looked like in its original form?

Do you have any pictures ?

midlife

Guru
Raleigh were run by bean counters and the frame number will be spot on. Just have to remember that as the numbers ran for more than a decade the year number can be repeated. 1975-1985.etc.

mikeymustard

Veteran
The Rapide from the early 80s was 531 framed. About 86 they brought out your version which had a much lower spec: 18-23 steel frame, lesser mechanicals etc. It's still a nice bike to ride and good-looking too, just be aware that if your son spends lots on it he probably won't recoup the costs. Most bikes of this era, unless it's been really abused/neglected, only really need a strip down, greasing and replacement of wear & tear items and they're good to go.
I can't find a catalogue that shows them but there's a few pics from this classified ad that might be of some use to you

OP
OP
bonker

bonker

Guru
Thanks Mikey. It is the lower spec version as it has the 18-23? carbon sticker on it, so '87 rather than '77. I might suggest he goes down the fixed route as he originally thought.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
raleighnut said:
So not valuable but here's the snag................................they ride really nicely

As you commented on one of my threads, a cheap hi-tensile frame can still ride well if it has the right geometry for it's intended use. My old Puch 3-speed roadster is only a cheapo bike but the way it rides is really pleasant and relaxing.

Top Bottom