I'm turning into a Blob

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MichaelM

Guru
Been off the bike for the best part of a month now with some sort of infection that's left me weak, totaly drained, and my legs feeling like jelly.

Coming to the end of a course of antibiotics, I feel desperate to get out for a ride, but seem to be out of the habit! Also a bit worried the legs won't hold up and I'll be left feeling like crap again. So I'm sat wondering whether or not I should go for a gentle spin. (doc says o.k. but don't expect to be back to normal too soon).

The BLOB bit.

Apart from feeling weak, I've also been remarkably hungry! I got out of the shower this morning, and realized I couldn't see my feet!

I bet you all really wanted to know that. In fact, that's it, I'm off for a ride.

Don't force yourself back out until you are ready, your body will rebel and you'll set yourself back. This is the time turbo's come in handy.

The hungry bit might be the anti-biotics. Eat more protein rather than carbs, says Crackle the nutritional expert :sad:

Apart from that, take it easy. I bet you come back stronger once you're a few weeks back into it.

walker

Crackle said:
The hungry bit might be the anti-biotics. Eat more protein rather than carbs, says Crackle the nutritional expert ;)

How does that Benefit? Unless he was looking to gain a little more muscle.
Surely its more vitamins like C and B2?

Get out there, only go round the block once, see how you feel, if you can do more do more, but don't push it, keep it gentle

I do beleive there were some recent studies done on the effects of protein rich meals. Basically protein rich meals leave you feeling fuller longer. Carbohydrates convert to sugars quicker and if not used get laid down as fat. And I am really on unsafe ground here so don't ask me any more. We need FF.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
Unlucky for you Michael, I hope you recover quickly and well. At least you're on the mend now, and it's nearly spring, so you'll have plenty of time to put the miles into your legs for summer.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Crackle said:
I do beleive there were some recent studies done on the effects of protein rich meals. Basically protein rich meals leave you feeling fuller longer. Carbohydrates convert to sugars quicker and if not used get laid down as fat. And I am really on unsafe ground here so don't ask me any more. We need FF.

I'm here for you Crackle!

Yep protein helps make you feel fuller for longers as Mikey and Crackle state, as does fat, however fat is very high in energy too and excess will get laid down as fat. Protein is good as it does not yield the fluctutions in insulin response like a lot of high carb foods do either.
My advice (and I wish I would heed it!), plenty Fruit and veg, particularly veg as low in free sugar, beans and pulses (complex carbs and protein, low fat), lean meats, Fish (but not coated). Brown bread OK in moderation as is Pasta.
They'll all be good for rebuilding your constitution, helping you with hunger/weight issue. Milk is also vey good at this too, Skimmed is OK, if not, semi-skimmed is OK IMO, source of good protein and other nutritious goodies. Also avoid alcohol as much as possible, if you must then choose 1 glass of a dark red wine...at least there will be some benefit form it compared to beer and spirits. Also reduce/eliminate white rice (brown better), fizzy drinks, white bread, cakes/pastry.

Hope that helps.

MichaelM said:
Been off the bike for the best part of a month now with some sort of infection that's left me weak, totaly drained, and my legs feeling like jelly.

Coming to the end of a course of antibiotics, I feel desperate to get out for a ride, but seem to be out of the habit! Also a bit worried the legs won't hold up and I'll be left feeling like crap again. So I'm sat wondering whether or not I should go for a gentle spin. (doc says o.k. but don't expect to be back to normal too soon).

The BLOB bit.

Apart from feeling weak, I've also been remarkably hungry! I got out of the shower this morning, and realized I couldn't see my feet!

I bet you all really wanted to know that. In fact, that's it, I'm off for a ride.

MichaelM

I used to be called "Blob" at school :tongue: Thankfully I lost some weight :biggrin:

I seem to remember you being a pretty good cyclist - Did we not finish together on the first Bealach na ba challenge?

It's easy to get out of the way of cycling, I had a 3 month lay off and just didn't feel like it, but a few gentle spins and hey presto back to normal.

As for eating, Fabfoodie's advice is spot on

Bigtallfatbloke

If it's any comfort I feel like a blob as well...my riding has dropped a lot these last few weeks. I need to get back into the swing of things sharpish. I can blame the weather and other things detracting from my focus but the bottom line is I jus thavent felt up to it...and I dont even have a bug.

Anyway...get well soon.

simonali said:
That's the Atkins Diet principle, I believe, so it must work?

That's a slightly more extreme form I think. The studies I was thinking of were done in Sweden? They effectively stocked two shops and had two control groups shop in the carbohydrate shop and in the protein shop. Both had to eat balanced diets but the protein/complex carbs group did the best in terms of weight loss. Some of this they attributed to that group feeling less hungry and so eating less.

I know myself that if I eat badly, choccy, fats etc... I tend to feel emptier sooner and so snack between meals. If I eat more fruit and pulses and no sugar the hunger pangs disappear after a few days. If only I had some willpower :rolleyes:

OP
OP
M

MichaelM

Guru
Rab said:
Did we not finish together on the first Bealach na ba challenge?

Indeed we did.

I think we also spent some time following each other around St Andrews for J.D. Fyfe's (un)organized ride.

So, managed a 24 mile ride yesterday at 14 mph - not bad as I was taking it easy (ish) and had to remind myself to ease off at times.

But... this morning I'm left feeling half deaf in one ear again. Not sure whether something that makes me weak causes the ear infection, or whether it's an ear infection that's making me weak (I did wear a headband yesterday). Been to the doc again this morning, got more antibiotics.

So it's a few more days off at least :rolleyes:

And 10 under the ben is getting closer!

MichaelM said:
Indeed we did.

I think we also spent some time following each other around St Andrews for J.D. Fyfe's (un)organized ride.

you are right, I forgot about that, I spent ages trying to find the meet up point and wondered why someone was following me ;)

Top Bottom