Im unfamiliar with the freewheel tool i need.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

curzons246

Veteran
I've recently purchased a 1986 Giant Pelaton Lite. It has a shimano 6 speed block. I've removed the dust seal, bearings and axle and it is not obvious what the next step is. The bearing cup has two slots in its upper lip but it is 29.5mm in diameter and wider than my current two peg tool. Any advise please?

midlife

Guru
is that a casette on a freehub?

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I wonder if the top cog is threaded and I need two chain whips. Hopefully someone will know.
that's what I think just from looking, as they look to be splines under the sprockets, so rather than a separate lockring, the smallest sprocket and the ends of the splines maybe threaded?

a bit like a helicomatic hub has threaded ends on the splines for the lockring? are those threads I've arrowed?
1621954726625.png
1621955542264.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
curzons246

curzons246

Veteran
Okay, turns out it is a uni glide freehub and cassette. cassette removed. I will still need the two pronged tool to remove the ball race so I can disassemble the freehub and service it.

D_97_goodtimes

If that doesn’t work then I would take a parallel punch and a hammer and try to move the bearing cap using care. A generous soaking in plus gas might help to free up the cup.

after that then it’s local bike shop.

D

Deleted member 26715

A pair of pointed nose pliers wide open with a spanner flat between the open handles to give you purchase.

midlife

Guru
If you want to get at the freehub bearings don't you take it off and get at it from the back? I'm more of a freewheel man myself lol

8DpN2Ss.jpg

Top Bottom