"I'm working"

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PBancroft

Unfortunately I don't think a lot of people think outside of their own "bubble", be it car shaped, bike shaped, work cubicle or office, etc.

The guy clearly thought that what he was doing was important and therefore had to take precedence over anything else nearby. I see it all the time, the family with screaming kids who do nothing to control them, the homeowner with the dog that doesn't cease barking, the worker who constantly whinges about their workload without once thinking that everyone else might be equally pressed.

I doubt he was intentionally putting his needs above the safety of other people, it probably didn't even feature on his radar. Sadly I think its a human trait at some level.

lit

Sometimes the box doesn't allow you much space, and I've complained about that. They weren't aware of the problem, but think it might be to do with what browser you're using.

Not sure whether it's worth using Roadsafe any more. More serious offences they write back to say they won't deal with it and you should report it via a Police Station so the Traffic Criminal Justice Unit can ignore it in the usual manner; less serious offences they don't bother contacting the person concerned. Now they've said that they will only pursue cases with some other form of evidence (such as video, which I can't afford atm), as a lot of drivers have written back to them to deny any offence (the News International Defence).

Just what is the point of reporting to Roadsafe any more?

I got this reply from a PC who deals with the roadsafe reports:

When a vehicle is reported to RoadSafe, various checks are made to
determine that it is correctly registered, insured and has a valid MOT
certificate and tax. Further checks are made to see if the vehicle has
come to the notice of the police prior to this incident. The full
details of the incident and the vehicle are recorded in case of further
incidents.

Prior to April 2011, letters were sent out to registered keepers of
vehicles in nearly all cases. However, many people complained, giving a
wholly opposite version of events to that of the person making the
original report. It is impossible for us to judge who is right and who
is wrong and it is clearly unfair for us to act on "one side of the
story." Therefore, unless the incident is corroborated by an
identifiable witness or as many cyclists provide, video footage, we do
not send letters to registered keepers, unless one of our checks reveals
that the vehicle has come to prior notice or is not correctly insured
etc.

However, that said, if a submission is made via RoadSafe that clearly
describes the incident and is factual and free of opinion - e.g. "the
driver passed within a foot of me, scaring me and causing me to swerve
towards the kerb" it is likely a letter will be sent.

With regards to this case, I will not be sending a letter to the keeper.
As stated above, the registration number and location of the incident
have been recorded in case of further incidents.

Since April I have sent over 150 letters to registered keepers and sent
a further seventeen cases forwards for prosecution and I continue to do
so.

I still think it's worth reporting any incidents even if it only gets logged and no letter is sent.

BentMikey

Rider of Seolferwulf
I wonder how many Roadsafe reports will occur before they do write to the registered owner, and whether they will mention the previous reports?

Quite a few of us have encountered the same driver repeatedly. The one that sticks most in my mind is Gaz's one where the driver in one cases tailgates and beeps, and in the other case gets very aggressive to a female cyclist and Gaz steps in.

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
I don't understand that reply from the Police Officer above... we do not take action as it's one person's word against the other... but if you provide it without any opinion then we'll probably send a letter.

So reporting that you "think the standard of driving was below what is expected on the roads" will get you nowhere, but "they passed within 6 inches of my handlebars causing me to almost crash into the kerb" might get a letter sent... although the actual distance between the car and your handlebars is still your opinion. All a bit strange! :wacko:

seems video footage is the only real way to go, and even then may not get any result.

Top Bottom