Image caching

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
People are still posting absolutely huge images (which does my head in) but short of having some bit of software which checks the size of every image and disallows links to oversized ones, there isn't much that can be done about that.

What really bugged me was that one thread that took me over a minute to load because it had 20+ MB of images in, took me another minute to access the following day.

My browser is set to only reload images once a week so I assume that something in the forum setup forces images to be reloaded at least once a day?

Any chance of extending that to at least several days, or preferably a week?

(I realise that you probably did it so that people would see their new avatars more quickly without refreshing the page, or something like that.)

Shaun

Founder
Local images should be cached for 30 days so it's possible these are links to off-site images. Can you give me the thread URL please?

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

This behemoth!

Yes, those images are on ImageShack.

While we are on the subject of images - I've gone back to a few old threads which have links to images which had been uploaded to CycleChat. They used to work but in some of them now we just see

Shaun

Founder

Which is full of 5MB (4,197px × 2,435px) size images remotely hosted away from CC - which I have no control over.

I can, however, edit the post and download/resize them to speed up page loading, but it would be good if people didn't link to such large original images in the first place (not to single out the OP of the quoted thread, just as a general practice).

While we are on the subject of images - I've gone back to a few old threads which have links to images which had been uploaded to CycleChat. They used to work but in some of them now we just see

Those are broken/malformed links. The one you've quoted is some text wrapped in an IMG placeholder tag - since there's no image URL referenced, there's nothing to display. There are also a bunch of them for old smilies that were dropped in favour of the current set.

If you notice any that really stand out as broken let me know and I'll check the URLs to see if I can repair them. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

If you notice any that really stand out as broken let me know and I'll check the URLs to see if I can repair them. :thumbsup:
There are some that definitely used to work, and the pictures had been uploaded to CycleChat so there is no obvious reason why they shouldn't work now. For example - Norry1's pictures in this post did display at the time but they don't now. The URLs look okay to me, so has something happened to the gallery that they were uploaded to?

Shaun

Founder
He he ... it would appear I removed one too many data directories when I deleted the old data - specifically the one with thousands of images in it ... ooopsss. :laugh:

Restoring them now. :thumbsup:

Shaun

Founder
Okay, most of the data has been restored but not all of it was there - however the missing images are the ones that were transferred to the new User Albums add-on - so to find them, simply click on the poster's avatar and then click on their album count number to see their galleries.

Top Bottom