Image resizing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
IMG_3468.JPG

And this is via the laptop.
For my liking, I think it uses up too much screen, though it does upload OK.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I think it looks fine on my tablet and phone, in both orientations.

The thing that would bother me about uploading (lots of) photos at full size is the waste of bandwidth. My domestic Internet is unlimited but my mobile data allowance is only 1 GB a month.

Anyway, I always like to preview my photos in a photo editor and usually make minor adjustments to them there. I typically crop and resize them to about 1,000 x 600 pixels before posting them, unless the subject doesn't suit that resolution.

It’s not necessarily posts I making, sometimes other people’s posts show as oversize. I normally resize my pics before posting. Saves Shaun some bandwidth as well, I reckon!

When an image is showing up as larger than 1200 pixels, it could well be the case that it is not actually uploaded to cc but it's being shown by a link to cc from another site which bypasses the resizing because, well it wasn't uploaded. It's a problem I have on my forum that is a big bear of mine. It's that other image button next to the smiley icon that allows for this option.

However given that I'm also on very limited monthly allowance now that I live down under and connect to the Web via a satellite connection, I also resize (to max width 800 or height 600 pixels) before uploading as well.

ColinJ

[QUOTE 4986339, member: 9609"]that tends to make me look a bit porky, but does give the bike a nice sporty look[/QUOTE]
Crop to 10:6 ratio and then resize ... It doesn't change the shape of anything in the photos, just cuts out parts of the original that I am not interested in and makes the rest a sensible size!

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

When an image is showing up as larger than 1200 pixels, it could well be the case that it is not actually uploaded to cc but it's being shown by a link to cc from another site which bypasses the resizing because, well it wasn't uploaded. It's a problem I have on my forum that is a big bear of mine.

That’s helpful to know, thanks :smile:

ColinJ

[QUOTE 4986631, member: 9609"]i was just joking, I tend to crop mine to be more screen shape then resize to 1100 wide with aspect ratio locked, usually click on the 'unsharp mask' to regain some of the clarity lost in the resizing.

what an undescriptive weird name that is for a tool 'Unsharp Mask' but it does make a nice job and worth using.[/QUOTE]
One of my packages (Irfanview) has an option to 'sharpen' when resizing. When using the other (Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 10) I usually go through the different options after I have the size/shape right to see what looks best to me.

classic33

Leg End Member
[QUOTE 4986631, member: 9609"]i was just joking, I tend to crop mine to be more screen shape then resize to 1100 wide with aspect ratio locked, usually click on the 'unsharp mask' to regain some of the clarity lost in the resizing.

what an undescriptive weird name that is for a tool 'Unsharp Mask' but it does make a nice job and worth using.[/QUOTE]
How would you be viewing the screen, portrait or landscape?

philk56

Guru
If I may ask another question on this thread - is there a maximum size for uploading images? I have been unsuccessfully trying to upload a photo despite resizing it down to minimum resolution before the quality deteriorates too much. I have reduced the size to 246kb but am still being told it is too large. I'm sure I've succeeded in uploading larger images in the past. Any advice would be welcome...

OP
OP
PeteXXX

PeteXXX

The forum software will resize it for you, but I’m not sure if there’s a maximum size file size it’ll accept.

Top Bottom