Important issue of the day: toothpaste.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

simoncc

My dentist told me that cheap toothpaste is as good as expensive ones. I've managed to persuade the household toothpaste buyer to get Tesco own brand. The Tesco Value stuff at 17p per tube is a step too far for me to push it, although my dentist said it'd do the job as well as any other when I asked him about it specifically.

Arch

Married to Night Train
A chewed twig would probably also do the job.

I've been having trouble with toothpaste recently, I think it's starting to freeze in the tube overnight.

And my Mum reckons the pastic tubes are a con, because they suck back the toothpaste (unlike a metal one that stays squished), making people think they've run out before they have...

My dad used to use a powdered smokers toothpaste, and we used stuff that came as a paste in a tin. Can't remember what it was called...

Night Train

Maker of Things
Arch said:
And my Mum reckons the pastic tubes are a con, because they suck back the toothpaste (unlike a metal one that stays squished), making people think they've run out before they have...
I regularly 'squegie' the tube over the edge of the basin to force all the toothpaste up to the nozzle to counter the 'suck back'.
I used to do that with the aluminium tubes too to ensure it is completely squashed flat to get every bit of paste out.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Night Train said:
I regularly 'squegie' the tube over the edge of the basin to force all the toothpaste up to the nozzle to counter the 'suck back'.
I used to do that with the aluminium tubes too to ensure it is completely squashed flat to get every bit of paste out.

I'm careful to get all possible tomato purree out of the tube - just everyso often my grip is wrong or slips, and the tube bends the wrong way, and I end up with tomato purree down my front!

goo_mason

Champion barbed-wire hurdler
When I first started at my new dentist, he put me on a high-fluoride toothpaste that you could only buy via them (no high-street toothpaste had a fluoride level that high). It was mighty expensive, so now I use the Tesco own-brand stuff, but always make sure I pick the one with the highest fluoride content. That's one of the 70-odd pence tubes; weird, all those frighteningly expensive toothpastes in the shops are usually pretty low on fluoride.

There's been a marked improvement in my dental health in the years since I started using the high-fluoride ones, so I'm sticking with them.

Wolf04

goo_mason said:
When I first started at my new dentist, he put me on a high-fluoride toothpaste that you could only buy via them (no high-street toothpaste had a fluoride level that high). It was mighty expensive, so now I use the Tesco own-brand stuff, but always make sure I pick the one with the highest fluoride content. That's one of the 70-odd pence tubes; weird, all those frighteningly expensive toothpastes in the shops are usually pretty low on fluoride.

There's been a marked improvement in my dental health in the years since I started using the high-fluoride ones, so I'm sticking with them.

I use Colgate Duraphat 2500 ppm fluoride! Prescription only. Fortunately it appears to have stopped my teeth dissolving before my eyes. It's not particularly minty which is a bonus though I do miss my hit of cloves first thing.

Maz

Guru
Arch said:
My dad used to use a powdered smokers toothpaste, and we used stuff that came as a paste in a tin. Can't remember what it was called...
Maybe you were thinking of Eucryl. It's a pink powder that comes in a plastic tub nowadays.

Night Train

Maker of Things
Arch said:
I'm careful to get all possible tomato purree out of the tube - just everyso often my grip is wrong or slips, and the tube bends the wrong way, and I end up with tomato purree down my front!
Lay the nearly empty tube on the work surface and squeegie the nearly flat tube with the handle of a knife or similar.

Noodley

Kirstie said:
Is euthymol a scots thing? The only person I know who uses it is scots - lots of you scots on here seem to like it. It's like someone has blowtorched your mouth and then doused the flames with TCP. Gah. Horrible.

You are soft as sh*** :becool:

Call yourself a Northerner*? You are still South of the "line of sense and stuff**"

*I had thought better what with your cycling in Caithness and Sutherland

**non definable general things which one just accepts

***ite just in case you were wondering ;)

snorri

Legendary Member
Arch said:
And my Mum reckons the pastic tubes are a con, because they suck back the toothpaste (unlike a metal one that stays squished), making people think they've run out before they have....

Always store your (plastic)toothpaste tube vertically, cap end down. The tube contents then gravitate towards the end cap and wastage is minimised.;)

simoncc

I cut the plastic tube open and scrape my brush on the inside to get the last few cleans out of it. I've banned others from throwing tubes away before I've done this. They start on the new tube while I save the planet by emptying the old one properly.

Night Train

Maker of Things
simoncc said:
I cut the plastic tube open and scrape my brush on the inside to get the last few cleans out of it. I've banned others from throwing tubes away before I've done this. They start on the new tube while I save the planet by emptying the old one properly.
I used to do that with the aluminium tubes. I stopped doing it with the plastic ones when there wasn't anything in it after the last squeegie. I do sometimes suck the nozzle to get the last bit in my mouth, if it didn't come out on the last squeeze.

SheilaH

As under 5s my brother and I used to eat toothpaste, in place of sweets. In an attempt to discourage this, my mum bought a tube of Euthymol. To her horror we acquired a taste for the stuff. To us it was a sophisticated treat, a bit like a slice of excellent Stilton.

Top Bottom