impossible tyres and carbon rims

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Help.

I have fitted some carbon rims that came with some cheap continental ultra race tyres. I had a visit from the fairy and now, no matter how I try I cant get the tyre back in the rim.

I'm used to tight tyres but these are ridiculous.

As these race tyres seem pretty frail, I fancy fetching something puncture resistant.

So, can anyone recommend a 700x23 puncture resistant slick tyre that I could stand a hope of fitting at the side of the road, in the cold and wet. These ultra race jobbies are literally impossible to fit to carbon rims

Ps I can fit my old schwable durano s set but they are shredded already so don't want to rely on them .

Cheers

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
I have Schwalbe ultremo DD evo's on carbon rims and they are used most days on the crappy London roads.
After about 9 months I think and they are still going strong. Not one puncture so far.
They do have a few slits in them, some I've superglued and others I have just left, but the puncture protection IMHO is really good.
When I bought them from Evans around 9 or 10 months ago they were about £40 each.
Expensive, but no punctures.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
I have Schwalbe ultremo DD evo's on carbon rims and they are used most days on the crappy London roads.
After about 9 months I think and they are still going strong. Not one puncture so far.
They do have a few slits in them, some I've superglued and others I have just left, but the puncture protection IMHO is really good.
When I bought them from Evans around 9 or 10 months ago they were about £40 each.
Expensive, but no punctures.
Hi,it's not so much puncture proofing I am looking for it's the ability to get the tyres on, the race tyres are impossible to fit, even in a workshop...at the side of the road, with cold wet fingers I would never get them on. I run duranos usually and as you say, they are pretty resistant and seem to go on better ( in so much as I can actually get them on) . Are the ultremos, easy to fit?

Roadrider48

Voice of the people
Hi,it's not so much puncture proofing I am looking for it's the ability to get the tyres on, the race tyres are impossible to fit, even in a workshop...at the side of the road, with cold wet fingers I would never get them on. I run duranos usually and as you say, they are pretty resistant and seem to go on better ( in so much as I can actually get them on) . Are the ultremos, easy to fit?
I seem to remember they were a bit tricky to fit, but I did manage to do it without levers. So not too bad I suppose.

MiK1138

Veteran
Had a pair of those Continental Race tyres they where mince, ditched them for Continental Gatorskins and so far no visits from the Fairy and they went on no problem

DWiggy

Über Member
We had a similar issue with a friends bike, it took 4 of us to get his tyre back on after a puncture while on a sportive, the cause was he has 2 lots rim tapes on the wheel, took one of them off and it made all the difference, might be worth a double check to see

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
We had a similar issue with a friends bike, it took 4 of us to get his tyre back on after a puncture while on a sportive, the cause was he has 2 lots rim tapes on the wheel, took one of them off and it made all the difference, might be worth a double check to see
Nope, just the one, and a super light tube. The front went on...just...but the back just won't give...tried for 3 hours last night.

Thumbs are still screaming this morning.

What are the wheels? I had some Easton wheels a few years ago [actually think I still have them somewhere] and all the tyres I tried were a pig to get on. I complained to the shop I got them from and they contacted Easton, it turned out that a batch had been manufactured slightly oversize. The shop sent mine back but on return I couldn't detect any difference, at which point I gave up.
Try a different tyre from someone else just to make sure it isn't the wheel.

OP
OP
jonny jeez

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
What are the wheels? I had some Easton wheels a few years ago [actually think I still have them somewhere] and all the tyres I tried were a pig to get on. I complained to the shop I got them from and they contacted Easton, it turned out that a batch had been manufactured slightly oversize. The shop sent mine back but on return I couldn't detect any difference, at which point I gave up.
Try a different tyre from someone else just to make sure it isn't the wheel.
Yep, I tried my old duranos, which went on fine...bit tight but fine. And they came with a set of contis' so I'm happy the rims are the right size.

All tyres are tougher to fit when new but these race things seem impossible, I can't ride with them for fear of picking up a vist and never being able to get going again.

I shall buy some gators today and see if I can get them on

Top Bottom