Improvements? Are they down to the new bike or me just trying harder?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Fossyant makes a fair point. Its hardly revolutionary to discover a Golf GTi is faster than a Land Rover.

That's the answer. 1.5 kg won't make any difference. You can make an MTB as quick as a road bike (on road) by putting 1.2" slicks on it.

OP
OP
grellboy

grellboy

Über Member
I'd changed the tyres on the cx ages back for some Gators (32), so don't think it would be down to that.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
CX knobblies to slicks.
At those weight difference thats probably the most effective , when you get into twice the weight difference and more you really notice it even with slicks , my slicked mtb even with drops gets up to speed slower , i cant maintain the same top speed and on the hills................ but we are talking 20 kg ish when loaded with panniers full of work stuff etc .

boydj

Legendary Member
Over the last year or so I've noticed a similar issue - Strava estimates for runs on my carbon bike consistently show me producing 5% to 10% more watts than I produce on my other bike on the same route. I find it hard to believe that mudguards and a bit more weight would give 5 to 10 watts of extra resistance, but checks of the running gear show no other obvious source of extra drag.

Drago

Legendary Member
Because Strava makes a back calculation based upon speed and distance, and has no way of knowing the weight of your various bits of equipment, gearing, even wind resistance from different clothing, so is little more than a guess.

S-Express

Over the last year or so I've noticed a similar issue - Strava estimates for runs on my carbon bike consistently show me producing 5% to 10% more watts than I produce on my other bike on the same route. I find it hard to believe that mudguards and a bit more weight would give 5 to 10 watts of extra resistance, but checks of the running gear show no other obvious source of extra drag.

Strava power estimates are comical. Dismiss them as irrelevant.

boydj

Legendary Member
Strava power estimates are comical. Dismiss them as irrelevant.
I take the actual values with a pinch of salt - as I know I actually produce a lot more power than they show:okay:

However it's the relative measures that are consistent and hard to understand.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
I have a commuter road bike that's a couple of kilos heavier than my just for fun road bike.On hils the extra weight is noticeable . Any placebo effect is long since worn off. On the odd occasion I take my best bike to work its very noticeable to me how much easier the hills are.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
That's true. Never time it so no data to compare. Leave home at the same time ,am lucky enough to have a lock up shed to stow bike and clothes etc in so probably linger in there a bit longer then start on time.

Top Bottom