Improving brakes.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I have a Specialized Tricross (basic version) but I am finding that the brakes are a bit weak compared to my old Ridgeback Comet. The Tricross needs a lot more pressure on the lever to get the same effect as the Ridgeback. Swapping between the 2 bikes can get a bit "interesting" as I tend to find myself almost doing stoppies on the Ridgeback, and having brown trouser moments when the Tricross takes a bit too long to stop!

Can anyone recommend an easy fix such as better brake blocks? If so, which ones?

Gerry Attrick

Lincolnshire Mountain Rescue Consultant
Your Tricross has, I believe cantilever brakes which by their very nature are not as powerful as the V brakes on your Comet. Depending on your budget, you could change the blocks to something like Kool Stop salmons which I use on most of my bikes. These are a soft compound which wear a bit quicker, but do give good stopping power. If you want to go further, then use the salmons in a more efficient set of cantis such as Tektro CR520's. These have longer canti arms and give IMHO the best stopping of any cantis.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Thanks Gerry Attrick, looks like a set or 2 of Kool Stop pads are on the shopping list. Just as soon as wiggle get round to e-mailing a reminder of my password! Oddly it seems that although my bike has cantilever brakes, the brake pad inserts that look like they fit are the V brake ones with the clips for holding the pad in place (having just taken an original apart). Like these ones here:

http://www.wiggle.co.uk/p/cycle/7/Kool_Stop_V-Brake_Dual_Compound_Pair_Of_Inserts/5300005946/

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Nice recommendation Gerry Attrick! Got them fitted last night and had a 45 mile test ride today and have to say I'm impressed. Nice smooth and progressive feel to the brakes now, and they don't sound as if they are grinding the rims away every time you brake. And they actually help you to stop, too :eek:.

Another improvement is the Specialized Nimbus Armadillo tyres which had their first outing today, also impressive and for a change, no punctures. That was NCN7 from Johnstone to Ayr, a nice ride today with a strong tail wind. Cheated again and took the train home :smile:.

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Someone on here said that they got their Tricross brakes changed to mini-vs under warranty, because of the common brake judder problem with the Tricross.

I think that was the problem they sorted on the 2010 model by fitting some sort of hanger bracket to the top of the front of the forks, that the brake cable adjuster fits into. It seems to work, I have no problem with judder; just lack of stopping power! Until now......

Jo25

I am having the same problem (braking not great - no problem with shudder) so the Kool Stop salmons sound like a good idea for me, too. But being a novice at these things, do the Tricross have campagno or shimano brakes as apparently you can get pads for both.

Cheers!

OP
OP
Brandane

Brandane

Legendary Member
Jo25 said:
I am having the same problem (braking not great - no problem with shudder) so the Kool Stop salmons sound like a good idea for me, too. But being a novice at these things, do the Tricross have campagno or shimano brakes as apparently you can get pads for both.

Cheers!

If it's the same model as mine, i.e. 2010 Tricross triple (the basic model) then I believe the brakes are Tektro. Sorry cannot be more specific, but the pads I bought are the ones linked to in post #3, and they are the correct fitment for my brakes. A most worthwhile upgrade IMHO.

Top Bottom