1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Improving fitness for recumbents?

Discussion in 'Recumbents, Trikes and HPVs' started by Night Train, 24 Apr 2008.

1. Night Train

Night Train Guest

I've been thinking of a recumbent for ages, mainly because I like the look of them and the adult go kart effect. However I only have a Marin Hawkhill that isn't used much and my fitness levels are a little low though I am working on it.

I have a mill for indoor cycling and also some gym equipment. Short of getting a recumbent cycle trainer is there any methods for working the muscles I would predominantly use with a recumbent?

I have been toying with the idea of using a recumbent for work, lugging tools and stuff, instead of the car for the local jobs but didn't want to invest and find that I am knackered and useless a mile down the road.

Thank you.

2. andharwheel

andharwheel Senior Member

I would say that using for short journeys would be a good starting point. Just take your time and use low gears, especially if lugging tools, etc. A journey of a thousand miles starts with the first pedal stroke.
    Which one are you thinking of buying?

3. OP
    OP
    Night Train

Night Train Guest

I'm not sure yet as I need to find out as much what is available and what is local enough to go for a test drive.

I like the Brox as an idea. I tried the Pick Up, made by the Seat of the Pants Co many years ago and quite liked it. I think it probably has the storage I would like to have even though I haven't though about the weight that comes with it.

I do need to have a try and I think, being a car/van/truck driver I would be looking at something that is familiar in form and layout.

4. mcd

mcd Well-Known Member

The best way to get fit for a recumbent is to just get one and go and ride it ;) - building up the distance and gradients gradually. Before getting my first recumbent I had a go on a stationary recumbent at a gym. But the position was very different (it had pedals that felt much lower than its very upright seat) so I think the benefit was mainly cardio-vascular. If you ride a normal bike, try to work on a smooth pedaling style, and when going up hills, staying in the saddle and going down a couple of gears will help. If you don't normally use clipless pedals, get a pair and get used to using them - they make life much easier on a recumbent.

5. Have you considered a Maximus?

6. OP
    OP
    Night Train

Night Train Guest

I had to Google that, is it the rickshaw type thing? I must admit to avoiding rickshaw type machines on the basis of being a bit Chinese (well, all Chinese but second generation). Also I don't really like the look of them.

I prefer The AVD Van type of thing. A part of me thinks it would look better sign written too. Even the Stablemate would be fine with a lid on the box.

7. OP
    OP
    Night Train

Night Train Guest

Just noticed that Townely Hall uses an AVD Stablemate. I might pop over and have a look at it and see if they will let me have a go.

8. byegad

byegad Guru

Just ride one! That way you'll exercise exactly the right muscle groups!