Improving fitness for recumbents?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Night Train

Maker of Things
I've been thinking of a recumbent for ages, mainly because I like the look of them and the adult go kart effect. However I only have a Marin Hawkhill that isn't used much and my fitness levels are a little low though I am working on it.

I have a mill for indoor cycling and also some gym equipment. Short of getting a recumbent cycle trainer is there any methods for working the muscles I would predominantly use with a recumbent?

I have been toying with the idea of using a recumbent for work, lugging tools and stuff, instead of the car for the local jobs but didn't want to invest and find that I am knackered and useless a mile down the road.

Thank you.

andharwheel

I would say that using for short journeys would be a good starting point. Just take your time and use low gears, especially if lugging tools, etc. A journey of a thousand miles starts with the first pedal stroke.
Which one are you thinking of buying?

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
andharwheel said:
Which one are you thinking of buying?
I'm not sure yet as I need to find out as much what is available and what is local enough to go for a test drive.

I like the Brox as an idea. I tried the Pick Up, made by the Seat of the Pants Co many years ago and quite liked it. I think it probably has the storage I would like to have even though I haven't though about the weight that comes with it.

I do need to have a try and I think, being a car/van/truck driver I would be looking at something that is familiar in form and layout.

mcd

The best way to get fit for a recumbent is to just get one and go and ride it ;) - building up the distance and gradients gradually. Before getting my first recumbent I had a go on a stationary recumbent at a gym. But the position was very different (it had pedals that felt much lower than its very upright seat) so I think the benefit was mainly cardio-vascular. If you ride a normal bike, try to work on a smooth pedaling style, and when going up hills, staying in the saddle and going down a couple of gears will help. If you don't normally use clipless pedals, get a pair and get used to using them - they make life much easier on a recumbent.

OP
OP
Night Train

Night Train

Maker of Things
mickle said:
Have you considered a Maximus?
I had to Google that, is it the rickshaw type thing? I must admit to avoiding rickshaw type machines on the basis of being a bit Chinese (well, all Chinese but second generation). Also I don't really like the look of them.

I prefer The AVD Van type of thing. A part of me thinks it would look better sign written too. Even the Stablemate would be fine with a lid on the box.

Top Bottom