Improvisation or bin and buy the latest thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
This^^^^

My rather expensive Neff integrated dishwasher has required 3 repairs in its rather short life (a little over 8 years). A different fault each time.
It has just failed again so before any repair was attempted (a quick Google suggested there was no simple fix)) it has been ripped out and replaced with an own-brand special.
Can't say that thrills me but I am not prepared to keep patching up over priced junk.
You might prefer to go back to hand washing when you find out how much they cost to run with the increased energy costs :sad:

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Repair, bodge and improvise as much possible :okay:

Spend money on new parts 😱

People like me are the consumerist globalist big business marketeers worst nightmare. I rarely buy brand new if I can get the same thing secondhand at a fraction of the price, and I never chuck anything away that still has an ounce of useful life left in it. Anything I discard really has had every possible bit of use wrung out of it, and big business has failed to persuade me to buy two or three new replacement items in the meantime.

Old bike inner tubes are primarily used by me as security chain sleeves to prevent paint scratching and annoying rattles. They also make good packing material for mounting accessories on frame tubes.

Inner tubes are fantastic for repurposing. I do a lot of touring cycling and use full length mudguards. A 10cm length of inner tube cut so it opens flat then attached to the front and rear mudguard creates a long lasting and effective set of mud-flaps. Then like many other cyclists short lengths of old inner tubing are used as a shim to secure items such as bell, GPS mounts or lights around the handlebar.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Innertubes are ace for 'stuff'.

Remember, us fix it folk are in the minority these days. Its often cheaper for someone to buy new than get a trades person in to fix it. Many folk aren't interested.

The dryer we have is a small one that fits in our porch. They aren't expensive but aren't common due to size. Must say google etc has really helped locate parts. Cost about £8 to fix the bearing on the dryers drum. Did involve pulling the thing to bits, literally, but it was all there on google.

My colleague has impressed me. She lives at her mums house with her two sisters. They have replumbed a bathroom and tiled it, as well as other refurbs and done the whole house, all by watching you tube videos. No previous DIY experience.

It can be done.

They have done such a good job (I've seen the pictures) their mum finds another room for them to do. I think they have just one room left to redecorate.

Call me a radical but I patch my old inner tubes and use them as inner tubes.

Woah...

You Radical, you.

Top Bottom