Will power and urges to buy cycling stuff

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PedallingNowhereSlowly

Bit of a cr4p work day. We all have them. I've been forced to compromise on my integrity, which I don't like very much at all. Thankfully, it's not a thing that's likely to have any real world consequence, but that's not a huge comfort. My conscience would have a tougher time if I worked for Boeing.

I'd change job, but I'd lose out on the 'brexit bonus'* and probably drop salary by ~30%.

Anyway, that's not really what this post is about. (I'll probably start freshening up the CV at some point soon). But it gets me to thinking about compensating myself for having to put up with such utter tomfoolery. It's not long before I'm browsing the Ribble website and contemplating a spendy aero bike. My go to always seems to be buying another bike. The cycle industry is clever!

I probably won't pull the trigger - I don't need it, I don't have anywhere to put it** and frivolous purchases like this just eek out the retirement date. And, superfluous purchases do nothing for the old environmental footprint. Thankfully I do have some will power!

*there was a period back there where salaries went through the roof
**I'd happily hang it up on the wall in the living room

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think we've all suffered from that. In your case it may be a release from the every day problems we all have.
Just take a deep breath and say ' I really don't need this'.
The joy of cycling is in the act itself, not buying more stuff.
Just ask yourself, will it make me go any faster or make me enjoy cycling any more? I'm sure you know the answer.

Slick

Guru
Bit of a cr4p work day. We all have them. I've been forced to compromise on my integrity, which I don't like very much at all. Thankfully, it's not a thing that's likely to have any real world consequence, but that's not a huge comfort. My conscience would have a tougher time if I worked for Boeing.

I'd change job, but I'd lose out on the 'brexit bonus'* and probably drop salary by ~30%.

Anyway, that's not really what this post is about. (I'll probably start freshening up the CV at some point soon). But it gets me to thinking about compensating myself for having to put up with such utter tomfoolery. It's not long before I'm browsing the Ribble website and contemplating a spendy aero bike. My go to always seems to be buying another bike. The cycle industry is clever!

I probably won't pull the trigger - I don't need it, I don't have anywhere to put it** and frivolous purchases like this just eek out the retirement date. And, superfluous purchases do nothing for the old environmental footprint. Thankfully I do have some will power!

*there was a period back there where salaries went through the roof
**I'd happily hang it up on the wall in the living room

I've got to be honest, I've worked flat out all my life and like any canny Scotsman, never spent a penny the wrong way.

I've now got to the stage in life where I couldn't care less whether it makes me go faster slower or how I look, if I want it, I buy it without a second thought.

Go on, treat yourself. :okay:

Moodyman

Legendary Member
Why not ride the bike you’ve got?

The physical and mental benefits of exercise are well documented. Heck, you could even ride it to/from work as a sort of FU to your boss.

The short-term dopamine hit from a new purchase spins off quickly.

ExBrit

Über Member
I suggest buying a jersey that expresses how you feel. Something like this would work for me.

87H8gRobK9puEHZ5c5Y6gH-415-80.jpg

Cycleops

Legendary Member
In much the same with basses.

I can afford it, it brings me pleasure, so as long as I've space to store them I'll carry on as I am.
I'm a bit like that. But does it really bring you pleasure in the longer term?

I'm like @Slick, if I want it I buy it, whatever it is.
However, I'm also mindful that a mega bar/box of chocolates will serve the same purpose re moral uplifting.
Choose Fair Trade for bonus benefits ^_^
But I bet you feel guilty the next day.

i've just refurbished my old carbon bike but now i'm looking at it wondering where i'm going to store it :scratch:(it was dismantled before). if i had the room i'd probably be tempted to buy something new but it would be indulgent.
i remember reading a piece in a cycling mag where the guy was talking about cycling gear and that the clothing didn't really wear out that quick or need replacing often. at the time i though yeah there is something in that. i then realised i've been using the same cycling top and shoes for over 10 years. i have other tops but these are still fine and i still use them. i only just replaced my over 10 year old bib tights this year 🧐
treating yourself does feel good though, no doubt. i'll be getting my retail therapy with a new Top Tube bag arriving this week.

Top Bottom