In a quandry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Onthedrops

Veteran
I got a bike fit done on my current bike recently.
The upshot is, it would appear my current bike may be on the small side!
My own fault really. Never had a fit before I bought the bike. Wish I had as I've now fallen out with the bike a bit now.

During the fit the saddle was raised, exposing quite a bit of seat post which now makes the frame look tiny. The fitter did say the bike fitted perfectly now. I asked if a larger framed model would suit me better to which he replied possibly.

Mrs OTD has gone mental!!! (As would be expected) However she has simmered and suggested I must sell my current bike before looking for anaother to offset the expense!
Trouble is I haven't a clue how much to sell it for. Seen a few Giant Defy Advanced 2's on eBay for around £1k. Mine is mint as I have OCD when it comes to my bikes.
Would £1000 be a valid price to ask for a mint example?

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Methinks you may be OK. With the saddle at the correct height and assuming the reach is fine you won't need to do anything on the selling/buying.

vickster

Legendary Member
Why not buy a bigger frame and transfer all the components across?

What's the model / spec on your bike? The 2016 Ultegra Adv 1 is available for £1200 new (warranty etc), I reckon if a 105 version, you'd be lucky to get £900 used, maybe less at this time of year (they might be a grand on eBay, doesn't mean they'll get that, especially as the fees will be £100+ )

https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b4s6p6982/GIANT-TCR-ADVANCED-1-2016

That said, if the current bike now fits, what's the problem?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Vickster, are you confusing your TCRs with your Defys? The geometry is a little different.

OP: I'd keep the bike, sounds like you're set up well on it. Pros often have undersized frames, it's a well known thing that setup is key and it's not critical to necessarily have the "right" frame size according to convention. Sizing is merely a guide.

mark st1

Plastic Manc
Bike fit BS strikes again.

I trust my bike fitter :biggrin:
IMG_0080_zpslhncpavb.png

huwsparky

Über Member
OP: I'd keep the bike, sounds like you're set up well on it. Pros often have undersized frames, it's a well known thing that setup is key and it's not critical to necessarily have the "right" frame size according to convention. Sizing is merely a guide.
True, but he's not a pro. A 10cm+ saddle to bar drop is unlikely to suit the avarage recreational cyclist.

helston90

Eat, sleep, ride, repeat.
I had a very similar experience, the height the seatpost needed to be was beyond the 'do not expose' mark, new lofty seat post from wiggle and all is well. So long as my back remains happy with an aggressive position I'm at optimum power and comfort.

Ignore how much seat post is exposed and ride the bike.

oldroadman

Veteran
Smaller rather than bigger frame reasoning used to be that the small sizes would be a little more responsive as they would not move quite so much sideways under power. Although in the age of carbon as opposed to steel/aluminium that may be redundant. Look at some of the bikes today and almost all have good amounts of seat pin showing, then compare with years ago when so little was exposed. Positions generally are a bit more aggressive but so long as it's comfortable and causes no aches and pains over several hours, then it's about right.
Advice: Stick with what you have and see how it goes over at least 3 months before worrying about spending more money.

Top Bottom