In a quandry

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

e-rider

crappy member
I got a bike fit done on my current bike recently.
The upshot is, it would appear my current bike may be on the small side!
My own fault really. Never had a fit before I bought the bike. Wish I had as I've now fallen out with the bike a bit now.

During the fit the saddle was raised, exposing quite a bit of seat post which now makes the frame look tiny. The fitter did say the bike fitted perfectly now. I asked if a larger framed model would suit me better to which he replied possibly.

Mrs OTD has gone mental!!! (As would be expected) However she has simmered and suggested I must sell my current bike before looking for anaother to offset the expense!
Trouble is I haven't a clue how much to sell it for. Seen a few Giant Defy Advanced 2's on eBay for around £1k. Mine is mint as I have OCD when it comes to my bikes.
Would £1000 be a valid price to ask for a mint example?
I see loads of people riding bikes that are too small for them - it's more common than seeing people riding bikes that are too big, although I see that too!
You are not alone in making that mistake but if you bought from a shop (rather than online) the shop should have prevented you from making such a mistake

OP
OP
Onthedrops

Onthedrops

Veteran
:scratch::scratch:
I see loads of people riding bikes that are too small for them - it's more common than seeing people riding bikes that are too big, although I see that too!
You are not alone in making that mistake but if you bought from a shop (rather than online) the shop should have prevented you from making such a mistake

The thing is I did buy from a shop. The guy said I was between sizes and he felt the smaller frame suited me better, took his word for it.
It doesn't help that the new model is available, albeit a good bit more expensive but the brakes have been improved!
I guess I don't NEED the next model! :bicycle::secret::hyper:

vickster

Legendary Member
Be cheaper just to improve the brakes surely, if it actually matters that much

Had you actually noticed any sort of issue riding it BEFORE you had the fit? Or indeed since?

e-rider

crappy member
:scratch::scratch:

The thing is I did buy from a shop. The guy said I was between sizes and he felt the smaller frame suited me better, took his word for it.
It doesn't help that the new model is available, albeit a good bit more expensive but the brakes have been improved!
I guess I don't NEED the next model! :bicycle::secret::hyper:
between sizes means that neither are suitable and you need to look at a different bike completely - this is a very common mistake.
bike manufacturers make as few sizes as possible to keep costs down and profits up, so it is quite a common problem to find yourself 'between sizes' as the jump between sizes can be large - however a good shop would have pointed this out and suggested not buying either bike as one would be a bit too small and the other would be a bit too big - common sense really!
Buying a different model/brand that was inbetween those sizes would have given a perfect fit and everyone lives happily ever after
lesson learnt - if you are between sizes don't buy either bike

but from what you have said about the bike fit, I'm thinking the larger size might have been a good fit and the shop guy just got it wrong

Last edited:
Top Bottom