In a state of permanent fatigue.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
During the summer when I'm riding twice or three times a week my leg muscles are always tight and slightly sore; even after three days or recovery. My job in exporting takes me overseas for two-week trips when I take zero exercise and eat lots of hotel food and drink lots of beer. I always come back feeling a bit snug around the belt but what is really interesting is that my legs feel rested and strong.

Last wednesday was my first ride out after a trip and to my amazement I was going like a train; even my regular cycling buddy noticed and commented on how well I was going. I put it down to the rest and the high protein diet.

So I've come to the conclusion that during the summer especially we are all in a state of permanent fatigue and never quite catching up.

Anybody else got any thoughts on this?

Red17

Veteran
Noticed a similar thing after being on holiday and off the bike for a week or so.

First ride back always seems faster / easier

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Massage helps especially in a hot bath after a long ride. But what I'm trying to say is that the entire body is fatigued, not just the legs. Two to three hours of hard riding takes a lot out of you especially at 60 years old.

screenman

Legendary Member
Massage helps especially in a hot bath after a long ride. But what I'm trying to say is that the entire body is fatigued, not just the legs. Two to three hours of hard riding takes a lot out of you especially at 60 years old.

You are talking to a 60 year old, I swim 2k and more 4 time a week and cycle normally 4+ hours at a good pace. I do not get the full fatigue bit but the legs used to get sore before I started using the roller. Are you giving you body enough time to get used to the overload cycling can bring on, before you have a break again that is. If I up my swimming or cycling I always get a sort of tired feeeling not fatigued for a few weeks and then adjust too it.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Well it's not a problem; it doesn't really bother me but I'm interested in the implications for competitive athletes; they do say you should do very little the week before a big event. Also professional athletes will get so tired that they can take weeks to recover; look at the recovery from the three Grand Tours and that fact that nobody has won all three in one year.

Travs

I think you're spot on with regard to your own pattern of exercise and its impact; larger rests will reap rewards with performance; hence the tepaering before an event and also usually taking a day or two lightly before an FTP test.
As expected , professional riders will be able to resist such a muscular beating for longer. Not to mention they will have sports massage after every ride, myofascial release (foamrolling etc.) sessions, recovery rides (I find these are actually really hard to be strict about), mobility sessions, planned nutrition, workout supplements for both pre and post etc.
I think the single biggest aspect to recover (injury aside) when it comes to a Grand Tour is the blood count rather than muscular health; you'll probably find they could go out and do some decent riding within a few days but sustained riding would need longer. As to why no-one has achieved it is probably more that relatively few people have attempted it. Ironically, most have won the tour and one other which, for a timing of recovery issue, would not be the easiest choice. Still, its the most prestigious.

You could try and get some massage sessions and foam rolling sessions in. You could also do some off-bike exercises in your hotel room when away - just to keep the muscles firing and also keep your metabolism up a little.

OP
OP
Globalti

Globalti

Legendary Member
Easy to say but difficult to do when you flop into the hotel lounge after a stressful day in the sweltering filth of a city like Lagos; all you want to do is drink the hotel's free Happy Hour beer.

When in high-altitude cities like Johannesburg and Addis I walk up the hotel stairs, which gets the heart rate up very well indeed.

Travs

Easy to say but difficult to do when you flop into the hotel lounge after a stressful day in the sweltering filth of a city like Lagos; all you want to do is drink the hotel's free Happy Hour beer.

When in high-altitude cities like Johannesburg and Addis I walk up the hotel stairs, which gets the heart rate up very well indeed.

Yeah I get that - having done some away jobs myself. Only couple of weeks at a time max but it throws you out of kilter and schedule. Little wins though - try one day on and one day off the beer perhaps? Grab a shower to feel better and then some mobility/core exercises? Its great the stairs get the pulse going. Every little helps!

reacher

You can't really complain then to be fair, training is an investment in time if you want to drink the happy hour then that's all well and good but why would you expect to recover/re-condition the body if that's what your doing if you were spending that hour stretching useing a roller or getting in a gym then I would imagine you would start to see a differance.

dim

I'm cycling 7 days a week now .... (I work most days at several sites per day and commute by bike).

With my longer faster weekend rides, I'm averaging just over 300km per week. I am currently commuting with my winter bike .... i.e. a Surly Long Haul Trucker (weighs 19kg so far and I still have to add my front and rear rack, pannier bags and dynamo setup, plus it has smaller wheels (26 inch) ... it's heavy and slow

I'm starting to feel lethargic on mondays and tuesdays after the faster / longer weekend rides, so I just take thing easy on those days. Last Sunday, I cycled 118km so as to get the October Strava distance challenge badge, and felt tired for 3 days after that (headwind was strong for half the way)

I'm also going to start running from the 1st of November aswell, as just hope that the old knees hold out. (I'm old now and the last time that I ran, was approx 20 years ago). I will also start eating proper/healthier and I will take a multi vitamin such as Solgar Omnium everyday

I need to try and find 2 consecutive days where I can rest, but it's not easy if one works 7 days a week. The bus service is crap and to get to one job, I need to take 2 busses one way. If I commute by car, I have to pay a high parking cost if I work in the city

Last edited:

Travs

Can you try and incorporate a bit more time on monday and tuesdays? Leave a bit earlier and take a slower pace?

dim

Can you try and incorporate a bit more time on monday and tuesdays? Leave a bit earlier and take a slower pace?

that's what I'm trying to do. Take it slower on Mondays and Tuesdays, but his week I was still knackered yesterday (Wednesday) .... today was a whole lot better

For the past 2 weeks, I've had a bit of a cold/snot nose, so maybe that's contributing to my tiredness

This weekend will be hectic, as I'm getting my Garmin Edge 1000 Performance bundle .... I bought if from a chap on this forum, and he is delivering tomorow eve. I've already created some courses on Garmin Connect, so I will be testing to see how it works.

Sunday looks like a really good day as the wind is low, and I'm planning to do a longish ride with some decent hills. On Saturday, I will also try the Strava live segment racing thingy so there will be some sprints

Clocks are changing this weekend, so that messes me up for a few months aswell. I think I will be knackered next week. My wife says that I need a holiday but am too skint to take time off work, especially with Christmas getting close (no work = no pay) :sad:

Top Bottom