In for a world of financial pain....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
:sad::sad::sad:
Milo, my 4 year old yellow (fox red) labrador hasnt been well this last week, although he's still relatively lively, bright eyed etc...he's had the squits ;) and occasionally vomits.
Hardly eating anything now and he's like a bag of bones (he is a tall leggy slim lab, so he didnt carry a lot of weight anyway)
3rd visit to the vets this morning....now its X rays, ultrasound and bloods....we're up to £400 already, with a possible (probable) extra £800 for an operation for a intestinal blockage (in the vets opinion)

Ive got away without insurance with all my previous dogs, never had any big bills.....this may change my thinking :sad:

Get well soon Milo, you lovely expensive smellysquitty fur shedding machine you. :biggrin:

Dogs, you couldnt be without them, could you ? :ohmy:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Hope your canine buddy get's better soon

Love dog's, grew up with them.... Would love a dog around the house, so would 'er indoors, however she is alergic to Dog & Cat fur.. and quite badly too. Which is a shame

Hope he gets well gbb. Sometimes you have to swallow hard at these moments. I currently have pet insurance for the first time, thought it best with the Labs propensity for chewing and swallowing anything.

ChrisKH

Guru
Never mind gbb. Hope he gets better soon. You will be rewarded when you get to heaven and find God is a dog. :ohmy:

Get well soon Milo says Jack...
vsfckh.jpg

("Don't like the vet" says Jack)

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Guess he's been eating things he shouldn't.........

We've got insurance for our cats..... only used it a few times, but about two years ago, one of ours suffered eating difficulties - some sort of virus that meant all her teeth had to come out (eventually) - all sorts of drugs etc - the cost would have been over £1k in total. Mind you, it's not cheap..... Pay about £40 a month for 3 cats....

Globalti

Legendary Member
A bloke called Neale in our Blackburn bikers MTB club has a Jack Russel called Alfie who comes on rides with us. Neale himself is a vet and recently when Alfie got a rectal hernia, Neale took him apart and fixed him. He can't fix bikes though; he keeps coming round to my place for that!

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Well, relatively good news at the mo..
I always plead poverty with the vets...not literally, but just so they dont think i'm an open cheque book...so i paid £280 this morning for XRays, Ultrasounds and blood tests today to find out what was wrong.
Thankfully the vet took my 'pleading' on board, and he started with bloods ( he could have just gone ahead with the lot, so fair play to him), which immediately identified a probably very bad infection...so he's in overnight to start with, on drips and he's picked up a bit already.

He's (milo) a bastar.. twa.. fu beggar for eating crab apples that fall from next doors tree. Makes him sick, but he keeps going back for more. I'll cut that freekin tree down if thats whats done it this time :angel::girl::biggrin:

Thanks for your thoughts guys and gals...

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
fossyant said:
the cost would have been over £1k in total. Mind you, it's not cheap..... Pay about £40 a month for 3 cats....
£40/month = £480/year = £7,680 over the conservative lifetime of the cats (more if they live as long as mine did).

I did the sums and figured I was better off paying the vet's bills as & when required. The worst one was £1200, but that was still less than I'd have paid in insurance premiums over his lifetime.

Ben

peanut

fossyant said:
Guess he's been eating things he shouldn't.........

We've got insurance for our cats..... only used it a few times, but about two years ago, one of ours suffered eating difficulties - some sort of virus that meant all her teeth had to come out (eventually) - all sorts of drugs etc - the cost would have been over £1k in total. Mind you, it's not cheap..... Pay about £40 a month for 3 cats....

ouch!:angel: I have my two insured with Asda for 12.00 a month which I thought was a bit of a bargain. Only needed it once and it saved me 275.00

hope the mutt gets well soon gbb;)

Abitrary

gbb said:
:girl::sad::biggrin:
Milo, my 4 year old yellow (fox red) labrador hasnt been well this last week, although he's still relatively lively, bright eyed etc...he's had the squits :angel: and occasionally vomits.

I'd change his butcher before attempting surgery.

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Milo's home :biggrin: but not altogether better yet.
He's now had a short course of steroids, various antibiotics, drips, 2 nights stay at the vets, blood tests x 2, etc etc...cost me just short of £500.

Bugger wouldnt eat anything while at the vets..i had to take some scrambled egg last night, which he wolfed down...and promptly ate nothing else since. He's effectively eaten 2 meals in a week.

He's a fussy eater anyway, i reckoned it woud be better to get him home to his comfort zone...and he promptly wolfed down a good meal.

He's still very liquid at the rear :rolleyes: ..thats evidently him shedding his stomach lining...but the vets sure he'll soon be better.

My advice to anyone....get some insurance. I know i'm going to after this.

Anyway, here he is.... in good health
RSCN0034.jpg

longers

Legendary Member
A bonny lad, well worth every penny*. Hope he makes a good recovery.
He's gorgeous :biggrin:.

*Just keep telling yourself that :rolleyes:.

Top Bottom