In need of some advice

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
M

Mart79

We’ve covered number of the gears point...
It’s not relevant. Look at the ratios and quality of components.
Presumably you’re not a child anymore or compare what you get to your mates
Haha, no I’m not a child anymore. Was just a reasoning behind my issue with amount of gears. Cos that’s all I can put it down too.

anyway thanks to everyone who have taken the time to read and offer advice

vickster

Legendary Member
Haha, no I’m not a child anymore. Was just a reasoning behind my issue with amount of gears. Cos that’s all I can put it down too.

anyway thanks to everyone who have taken the time to read and offer advice
Let us know what you get :okay:

OP
OP
M

Mart79

You can locate other retailers who will/might take the Halfords C2W voucher - search by postcode

https://www.cycle2work.info/
https://www.cycle2work.info/bg_C2WStoreMap
Looked on the cycle2work site a few times, and does bring up a few others but all the independent cycle shops only have very basic websites which often doesn’t include the latest stock. Shame really cos I would prob get a better deal in an independent.

According to my voucher I have the £500 to spend plus free £30 to spend on accessories in Tredz or Halfords. Not sure if that is just Halfords / tredz only, will need to check and clarify

vickster

Legendary Member
Looked on the cycle2work site a few times, and does bring up a few others but all the independent cycle shops only have very basic websites which often doesn’t include the latest stock. Shame really cos I would prob get a better deal in an independent.

According to my voucher I have the £500 to spend plus free £30 to spend on accessories in Tredz or Halfords. Not sure if that is just Halfords / tredz only, will need to check and clarify
Phone them up.
probably is Halfords / Tredz only, but a local shop will likely offer something off extras if you’re buying a bike at full RRP

OP
OP
M

Mart79

I am quite interested in this Carrera, £450, but only available in Medium. According to the size guide and my height, I need a Large. Is there much size difference between the L and M sized bike. Might be a daft question but thought I would ask anyway haha

vickster

Legendary Member
How tall are you? Are you between sizes
Don't buy a bike in the wrong size, you'll only regret it when uncomfortable

OP
OP
M

Mart79

I am 5’11....... which according to the size guide I need a Large, but doesn’t seem too much difference in size.

just measured my current bike and it is an 18” frame, providing I measured it correctly. In all honesty I don’t remember it being uncomfortable....

I requested an extension on my voucher which has been granted this morning so think I will hold out, hopefully the GT agreessor 29er comes back in stock soon at Tredz

vickster

Legendary Member
I am 5’11....... which according to the size guide I need a Large, but doesn’t seem too much difference in size.

just measured my current bike and it is an 18” frame, providing I measured it correctly. In all honesty I don’t remember it being uncomfortable....

I requested an extension on my voucher which has been granted this morning so think I will hold out, hopefully the GT agreessor 29er comes back in stock soon at Tredz
Go to Halfords and sit on the Carrera?

simongt

Guru
You don't need 21, you probably won't even use all 18
My GT Outpost came with a 7 x 3 setup which I carried on with for many years. When eventually I was faced with replacing more than the basics, I thought likewise, do I really need 21 speeds - ? No was the answer, so I converted the bike to a Sturmey 5 speed ans have never looked back - ! ^_^
And of course, a lot less cleaning and maintenance - ! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
M

Mart79

My mistake, it’s 2x9 ratio so an 18 speed........ phew, thought I’d messed up

I’m a fair weather rider, far too wet and cold out there for pleasure rides 🤣🤣🤣

Top Bottom