In praise of a cheap saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
it says it has a cut-out but can't see it - is it in reality just a lower density padding/covering in the central area? - I tend to like these.
There IS a cut-out but it is covered by light padding. There is quite a bit of 'give' over the cut-out but it still means that one's undercarriage has to press down on it to a degree. I find that a slight tilt down of the saddle nose is all I need to be comfortable.

Does it have toughened buffers at the rear for when you lean the bike against something.
No, but those leathery-looking side panels are pretty hard-wearing. I just looked at 3 of my saddles which have seen a lot of action and there is only the most minor of scuffing. I had to look hard to find it.

The only significant damage to the saddles was on one of them. The seat clamp bolt on that bike had corroded so I was struggling to loosen it enough to adjust the saddle position. I ended up tapping the saddle forward with a hammer, slightly damaging the rear of the central felt-like section.

I don't think that price really matters with saddles. If it fits, it fits. Paying more will reduce the weight if you're into that but won't buy you comfort.
It does matter the other way round though... If I paid £100+ for a saddle instead of £10 then that would be my food budget for a month spent!

When I had a relatively well paid job in the 1990s, I walked into a bike shop for a chat with a mate who worked there. I walked out again less than an hour later having ordered a £2,000 bike on a whim. These days, making ends meet until I get my state pension in a few months time, I might spend hours trying to find a few pounds off something that I am looking to buy. A while back, I did over 20 hours of research to get £20 off a digital camera. Quite sad really! :laugh:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
There IS a cut-out but it is covered by light padding. There is quite a bit of 'give' over the cut-out but it still means that one's undercarriage has to press down on it to a degree. I find that a slight tilt down of the saddle nose is all I need to be comfortable.

No, but those leathery-looking side panels are pretty hard-wearing. I just looked at 3 of my saddles which have seen a lot of action and there is only the most minor of scuffing. I had to look hard to find it.

The only significant damage to the saddles was on one of them. The seat clamp bolt on that bike had corroded so I was struggling to loosen it enough to adjust the saddle position. I ended up tapping the saddle forward with a hammer, slightly damaging the rear of the central felt-like section.

It does matter the other way round though... If I paid £100+ for a saddle instead of £10 then that would be my food budget for a month spent!

When I had a relatively well paid job in the 1990s, I walked into a bike shop for a chat with a mate who worked there. I walked out again less than an hour later having ordered a £2,000 bike on a whim. These days, making ends meet until I get my state pension in a few months time, I might spend hours trying to find a few pounds off something that I am looking to buy. A while back, I did over 20 hours of research to get £20 off a digital camera. Quite sad really! :laugh:
I am doing that constantly , 2 kids and short time at work with the parts shortages mean im always out to save a few quid if i can , but for me the only way i will be able to afford to retire is when they prop me up in the corner when i keel over .

Top Bottom