In praise of a cheap saddle

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

figbat

Slippery scientist
I recently picked up a brace of saddles from Tredz as I needed a couple of replacements but cheaply. I plumped for the Madison Flux in black and with the discount they always offer this came to £27.50 each. I rode with one on my hardtail on Wednesday night and the best thing I can say about it is that I forgot I had a new saddle until part way round the ride. It looks and feels a lot like the ubiquitous Charge Spoon and was utterly unnoticeable in use, which is a good thing.

I know saddles are a personal thing but I took a punt and it seems to have turned out ok for me.

All uphill

Still rolling along
Out of stock now.

You bought them all!

Biketart has them on the Bay of E

The Madison saddles are near enough identical to the Charge ones - they're actually made by the same people. Who incidentally also make another clone of that saddle for Spa Cycles.

I picked up a Leia for my MTB earlier in the year because I couldn't get a Ladle. Funnily, I actually prefer the Leia, which is a teensy fraction narrower and longer than the Ladle.

Drago

Legendary Member
The Flux is indeed a Charge Spoon with slightly different stitching on the cover. Exactly the same rails, shell and foam. They usually sell cheaper than the Spoon, and ive seen them well under 20 sheets now and again.

My arse hates them - ramming a real spoon up there would be more comfortable, but its all down to individual topography.

Last edited:

Tenkaykev

Guru
Her indoors has Selle Royale on all her treaders. The stock Brommie saddle is surprisingly good. I have a Brooks C17 which was comfortable from the off, and a honey leather Brooks B17 which I’m breaking in on the Turbo so I can look “ well trendy “ when I eventually transplant it to my Brommie. ( eight months so far, only another couple of years or so before it’s ready ) 😉

When you find a saddle that fits you, buy lots of spares!
I love the charge spoon. I borrowed a friends bike that had one fitted and it was like sitting in a comfortable armchair. I now have them fitted to my 4 bikes and I have 4 new ones as spares for the future. I have already worn through 3 in 8 years.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
When you find a saddle that fits you, buy lots of spares!
I love the charge spoon. I borrowed a friends bike that had one fitted and it was like sitting in a comfortable armchair. I now have them fitted to my 4 bikes and I have 4 new ones as spares for the future. I have already worn through 3 in 8 years.
My CAADX had a Charge Spoon fitted when I got it. I'd heard great things about them so I was pretty disappointed when I ended up in severe discomfort after riding for only an hour or so. It had to go!

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Her indoors has Selle Royale on all her treaders. The stock Brommie saddle is surprisingly good. I have a Brooks C17 which was comfortable from the off, and a honey leather Brooks B17 which I’m breaking in on the Turbo so I can look “ well trendy “ when I eventually transplant it to my Brommie. ( eight months so far, only another couple of years or so before it’s ready ) 😉
The stock Brompton saddle is the best stock saddle I have found on a bike. Mine is on my winter MTB. But I have ridden 200km days on the saddle with no issues at all.

But cheap or expensive. It is often down to luck. A visit to the LBS to be measured is good start to getting it right though.

Last edited:
I don't think that £27.50 is 'cheap'!

It is obviously cheap compared to paying £100+ for a saddle, but I paid much less than £20 a go for my favourite - the Planet X Superlight Team saddle. I have 4 or 5 of them. [Blimey, they just sold out of them on special offer at £9.99! :eek:]
it says it has a cut-out but can't see it - is it in reality just a lower density padding/covering in the central area? - I tend to like these.

Does it have toughened buffers at the rear for when you lean the bike against something.

I too don't think £27.50 cheap. Most of mine cost under £20, some well under - am a great believer in cheap saddles - there is mega bullshit about saddles like a few other bits of cycling stuff. Am a great fan of selle royal saddles - I think it was you that told me that Fizik was their brand for folks who like to shove more money up their bum (interpretation of your factoid my own).

just seen Drago's comment - I learned about Selle Royal through the saddle fitted as standard to a dale list price £1,500 I bought about 20 years ago. Great saddle. For a while you could get the same one for £15. So they discontinued it.

Last edited:

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
I used to hate the spoon too and used to run narrow flat saddle up to a few years ago when i kept getting saddle sores , since then i have dropped my saddle 5 mm too so im tempted to try a flat saddle again just to see if the issue was saddle height not just getting old .

I used to hate the spoon too and used to run narrow flat saddle up to a few years ago when i kept getting saddle sores , since then i have dropped my saddle 5 mm too so im tempted to try a flat saddle again just to see if the issue was saddle height not just getting old .
sometimes, i stress sometimes, the problem with a saddle can be just the positioning/adjustment of it. I had one once that seriously threatened my fatherhood possibilities - extremely extremely painful despite some on-ride tinkering. I later did some adjustment and short round-the-block test rides on it and it became one of my most comfortable saddles.

Top Bottom