In praise of Allo Allo!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Not in the slightest bit funny. Just full of clichés, catchphrases and ham acting. The storylines were endlessly recycled, and weren't good enough to keep out of the bin the first time around.

But come Saturday evening, and you'd have find me with the rest of the family sat in front of the telly laughing heartily throughout the entire program.

Debian

User482 said:
It was gentle, well written, and well acted. I never appreciated it much at the time, but I happened to see an episode last year and realised just how funny it could be.

+1

BrumJim said:
Not in the slightest bit funny. Just full of clichés, catchphrases and ham acting. The storylines were endlessly recycled, and weren't good enough to keep out of the bin the first time around.

But come Saturday evening, and you'd have find me with the rest of the family sat in front of the telly laughing heartily throughout the entire program.

+1

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
My parents had a couple of friends over from France a few years ago. Although she was a teacher of English and he spoke excellent English they either didn't understand it or found it a little patronising.
I never thought that the 2 English airmen or the policeman typified all the English but filled a role that we knew existed.
Very funny even down to the camp German officer in his little tank and the German who came in a little late with his salute and only managed "tler".
A parody of "The Secret Army" as good as "Airplane!", "Naked Gun", "Get Smart" (I remember this from the late 60's) "Sledghammer" etc. that the Americans made.
(They do understand irony only it is an irony bar to batter you round the head with:biggrin:).
A lot of the comedy from Britain falls into 2 camps, Monty Python or Benny Hill. As someone once said "There is no such thing as alternative comedy. The alternative to comedy isn't comedy":laugh:.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
guitarpete247 said:
Very funny even down to the camp German officer in his little tank and the German who came in a little late with his salute and only managed "tler".

[pedant alert again] Actually he said something like "Kla", which is German for "ditto".[/pedant]

guitarpete247

Just about surviving
BrumJim said:
[pedant alert again] Actually he said something like "Kla", which is German for "ditto".[/pedant]
Try saying "TLER" then "KLA". You'll find they do sound similar. And as he is trying to get in the end of "Heil Hitler" he only managed the "Tler" bit.
I know I'm being a pedant too I looked it up here before my first post:becool:.

They were showing back to back Hogan's Hereos in the bar at Caen ferry port when I was there a couple of months ago, WW2 sit com at it's best! It must be time for an up to date war sit com, something with Osama bin laden played by Rowan Atkinson set in a cave maybe?

OP
OP
rich p

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Dave Davenport said:
They were showing back to back Hogan's Hereos in the bar at Caen ferry port when I was there a couple of months ago, WW2 sit com at it's best! It must be time for an up to date war sit com, something with Osama bin laden played by Rowan Atkinson set in a cave maybe?

Class act.

I hear nusssink.....
Sergeant Schultz?

rh100

Should we mention the painting of the Madonna with big ........

And from Wiki....

"I was pissing by the door when I heard two shats. You are holding in your hind a smoking goon. You are clearly the guilty potty!" Another, during an air raid, is: "They have had a direct hot on the pimps!" "The pimps?" "The pimps! The pimps in the pimping station! No water is being pimped through the poops!"

Classic stuff

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
That takes me back to when I worked for BAe - had some dealings with MBB in Germany, and one of their engineers was called Herr Flick. I remember trying to have a senisble work conversation with Herr Flick when the person who had picked up the call then handed me the phone was busy giving Heil Hitler salutes in front of me.

(Ah, the subtle humour of engineers!)

When it first came out it was a bit racey for a sitcom - did the waitresses not go off to perform some actions on the German officers involving an egg whisk? Later it was toned down to take the sex stuff out and it went a bit bawdy postcard.

There were great touches like the english airmen riding on the english side of the road on bikes.

I went to an French evening class some years ago when it was on and my teacher told me of a woman who came to the class and thought French was just like 'allo 'allo and was shocked to find they had different words for everything!

Top Bottom