In praise of Finish Line Wet Ceramic Lube

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am an every day, all weathers, commuter riding a single speed for 20 miles a day across muddy unsurfaced track, cycle paths and roads.

I like dry lube because it's cleaner and easier to get off the chain on maintenance days but it doesn't last very long and after just one mildly damp commute the chain starts to sound very thirsty until I can be bothered to get it on the stand and do a bit of a clean & re-lube.

I had settled on Finish Line Wet Lube, the green Fairy Liquid type stuff, because it's easy to see where it is on the chain when applying and it's longer lasting but it's filthy when cleaning it off.

I noticed Ceramic Wet Lube a while back and gave it a try; it's considerably dearer than the traditional one but still not a huge amount. I hadn't seen it before. Is it new?

I am very impressed; I have done three full wet commutes (there and back) and plenty of damp ones and the chain is still silent and it seems easy to get the chain clean when re-lubing (even though it is pretty gunked up).

I recommend it! It's widely available, try the shopping links at the top of the page.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
It's my lube of choice.

si_c

Guru
Same here, only complaint is that it makes everything darker coloured. Plus I do need to wipe the chain for a couple of days after application.

Crankarm

Guru
I am an every day, all weathers, commuter riding a single speed for 20 miles a day across muddy unsurfaced track, cycle paths and roads.

I like dry lube because it's cleaner and easier to get off the chain on maintenance days but it doesn't last very long and after just one mildly damp commute the chain starts to sound very thirsty until I can be bothered to get it on the stand and do a bit of a clean & re-lube.

I had settled on Finish Line Wet Lube, the green Fairy Liquid type stuff, because it's easy to see where it is on the chain when applying and it's longer lasting but it's filthy when cleaning it off.

I noticed Ceramic Wet Lube a while back and gave it a try; it's considerably dearer than the traditional one but still not a huge amount. I hadn't seen it before. Is it new?

I am very impressed; I have done three full wet commutes (there and back) and plenty of damp ones and the chain is still silent and it seems easy to get the chain clean when re-lubing (even though it is pretty gunked up).

I recommend it! It's widely available, try the shopping links at the top of the page.

Ha! I used to use Finish Line Ceramic stuff until I discovered chain saw oil which is so much better. Instead of £10 per 100ml it is £4.99/litre and lasts soooooo much longer. Bike chain lube is a complete rip off.

Chain saw chains go through hell when doing a full days logging, so when it comes to my bike chains I warm up some of the otherwise incredibly viscous chain saw oil to make it run a little better and use this, it seems to work well enough for me.
Now that I don't use my chainsaw as much as I used to I now only buy smaller 1 litre bottles and normally stick to the Husquvarna branded bottles which cost approx. £7

bpsmith

Veteran
It’s interesting that people say it’s cheaper to use chainsaw oil, yet they still buy it by the litre!

Clearly it must mean that they use more, compared to me 50ml chain lube that has lasted me ages.

I regularly clean my bike and lube when needed, so it’s not down to simply not doing so.

winjim

Smash the cistern
It’s interesting that people say it’s cheaper to use chainsaw oil, yet they still buy it by the litre!

Clearly it must mean that they use more, compared to me 50ml chain lube that has lasted me ages.

I regularly clean my bike and lube when needed, so it’s not down to simply not doing so.
Exactly. Wet lube bought by the gallon is about 50 quid which is about £14/l but if you want 100ml of chainsaw oil you need to buy a litre at about £3.80 which is £38/l.

Volume is important.

Its good stuff (the FL CWLube) but I preferred it fore runner which was less messy, I wonder why FL discontinued it :wacko:
When it was out of stock once I ordered the Muc Off version of ceramic wet lube, its almost identical and had a more accurate dispenser (for getting into dérailleurs etc) and it might be a bigger bottle and a little cheaper too (TBH I forget). So I switched permanently :okay:

Crankarm

Guru

Bike lubes are crap in comparison to chain saw oil. So many times on wet days bike specific chain 'lube' would be washed off the chain by the end of the day. I can only surmise you don't ride that many miles as you use so little lube and when you do ride it is probably only on dry summer days which can't be that often as we have so few in the UK. Armchair cyclist and straw argument.
Anyway last year I ditched cleaning and lubricating my bikes' chains altogether as now I have a belt drive bike so no lubrication required at all! And no mucky oil. Happy days.

bpsmith

Veteran
Bike lubes are crap in comparison to chain saw oil. So many times on wet days bike specific chain 'lube' would be washed off the chain by the end of the day. I can only surmise you don't ride that many miles as you use so little lube and when you do ride it is probably only on dry summer days which can't be that often as we have so few in the UK. Armchair cyclist and straw argument.
Anyway last year I ditched cleaning and lubricating my bikes' chains altogether as now I have a belt drive bike so no lubrication required at all! And no mucky oil. Happy days.
You know nothing about my riding, cheers.

You state that you use(d) Chainsaw Oil by the litre. I rest my case as to the longevity of your chosen option.

Top Bottom