In Praise of Frankie ...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
... Howerd that is. When I was back in the UK a few weeks ago I stumbled upon a boxed set of the complete Up Pompeii. Priceless, classic Brit comedy. I suspect we'll never see anything like Frankie Howerd again but to anybody who remembers it, I wholeheartedly recommend getting the series. I would have thought that it would have seemed a bit dated but it's more like timeless.

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Andy in Sig said:
... Howerd that is. When I was back in the UK a few weeks ago I stumbled upon a boxed set of the complete Up Pompeii. Priceless, classic Brit comedy. I suspect we'll never see anything like Frankie Howerd again but to anybody who remembers it, I wholeheartedly recommend getting the series. I would have thought that it would have seemed a bit dated but it's more like timeless.

I don't think it's possible to do innocent smut and double entendres anymore. Everyone is too cynical and knowing now. Comedy was gentler in those days with FH, Morecombe and Wise etc.

OT.I think there was a quote once by Eric on being asked by Parky what they would have been had they not become comedians and EM answered, " Mike and Bernie Winters":biggrin:

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
There was a lot of smutty stuff around in the olden days....FH brill, also listen to Round the Horne (and other progs of that ilk and era)....marvellously smutty!

OP
OP
Andy in Sig

Andy in Sig

Vice President in Exile
I remember Frankie Howerd being interviewed once and he was asked if he had ever really bombed. He told the story of the time he was booked to do stand up in a catholic working men's club. Before his performance he asked if anything of note had happened in the area recently with a view to working the material into his act. The only thing the manager could think of was that the club's telly had recently been nicked.

So he went on stage. As the lights went up the first thing he saw was a huge statue of the crucified Jesus at the back of the hall which prompted the second thought in his head which he uttered as he thought it: "I see you got the bloke who nicked the telly then" and then the third thing he noticed was the large proportion of nuns and priests in the audience. Apparently the evening didn't go to well.

Cheddar George

oober member
I don't have many guilty pleasures but ......
a couple of my usual circuits on the bike go right past Frankie's old house, as i zoom past i will freewheel and shout out any one of a number lines -
"Nay, nay and thrice nay !"
"ohhhh please yourself !"
"No don't mock poor Francis"
etc.

It always puts a smile on my face :blush:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Cheddar George said:
I feel a little embarassed now.

Mostly lurking, George ( or may I call you Cheddar!)

perhaps in the light of your confession you should change your sig to 'Mostly Lurkio':biggrin:

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
Cheddar George said:
I don't have many guilty pleasures but ......
a couple of my usual circuits on the bike go right past Frankie's old house, as i zoom past i will freewheel and shout out any one of a number lines -
"Nay, nay and thrice nay !"
"ohhhh please yourself !"
"No don't mock poor Francis"
etc.

It always puts a smile on my face :blush:

I'm told FH used to drown his sorrows in that pub (name escapes me) on the A38 at Cross near Axbridge. Poor chap was a bit of a depressive apparently. But so were several of the best funny men.

Up Pompei - I agree very funny indeed.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Fantastic. I prefered the film of it actually. I also liked some of the other things he was in like The Great St Trinian's Train Robbery,

Cheddar George

oober member
Maggot.

I'm in Weston-super-Mare.
I may be wrong but i think i may have met you in Sainsburys car park last winter just before i purchased a proper road bike (you were freezing your wotsits off waiting for your wife to get back to the car) - if it was you - thanks for the advice !

Sorry to hear about Frankies' house, hopefully they will still do the cream teas on the lawn, it always looks good in the summer with all the bunting etc.

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
Hmm, last time I saw the TV series, it was very much a case of disappointed memories. I used to think it was funny, but I couldn't believe just how utterly crap and unfunny it was when I saw it again. Frankie Howerd was a very talented many but that show is hardly representative of his talent. Just compare this to something like the radio show Round the Horne from a few years previously, and you'll find a rather higher level of smut and innuendo, and which still holds up today.

Pete

Frankie Howerd and Benny Hill died on the same day.

Whether you like the genre or not, you must agree that the world of camp smutty comedy lost its heartbeat on that sad day.

Cheddar George

oober member
Hello again !

I am now the proud owner of a specialized Sequoia from the Bike Shed in Crediton. A great road bike that gives me a nice comfortable upright riding position for longer rides. Very pleased with it :blush:

Top Bottom