In praise of friction shifting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ChrisEyles

Guru
Love my friction shifters on a five speed block on the rear. Never tried them on an 8 speed cassette (and never had a bike with more sprockets than that!) - interested to hear that they still work well on a ten speed cassette.

Globalti

Legendary Member
Surely friction shifting was easier when we all had eight cogs or fewer and more space between them? What would it be like with 11 cogs?

I used to love the little Suntour XC pro shifters I used on my mountain bikes but the friction used to wear out on the LH shifter.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
When I had the custom Rourke built (5 years ago?) 9 speed friction shifters were top of the list. It also allows any kind of brake levers to be used too. Cheap, light, reliable. I’ve no desire to return to integrated shifters.
People think it’s a ‘classic’ frame when they see it!

boydj

Legendary Member
I had friction bar-end shifters on my commuter road bike many years ago. I found you quickly develop a feel for the shift and the flexibility to swap wheels with 8, 9 or 10 gears was useful for an early commute when you come down to a puncture.

johnnyb47

Guru
The couple of ride outs I've been using my old 80s, Peugeot with friction shifters.
I have to agree there's something nice about it.
Simple no fuss, and as the OP said you tend to stick to the same gear. It makes me ride my bike in a more relaxed manner instead of trying to find the perfect cadence

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Oh I don’t know Beryl Burton did pretty well on fixed
She probably rode fixed on occasions as everyone did back then, but the majority of the time including her best years she rode gears -

Chris S

Legendary Member
I've just bought a bike with a Shimano shifter that lets me change from indexed to friction mode.

I was surprised how easy the friction mode was to use. I just had to gradually press the lever until I heard the chain clunk on to another gear.

The gear change was instant without the delay that you get with an indexed shifter. I think I'll stick with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom