In praise of... Raleigh Grifter!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrandmrspoves

Middle aged bald git.
The coolest thing I have heard today by leagues!

A cool radiator would be pretty pointless^_^ I'm sure I have ridden some bikes that used to be radiators.......

baldycyclist

Über Member
I claimed my brother's Grifter when he claimed my racing bike. These new fangled BMX things had come along so the Grifter got a new lease of life with BMX everything apart from the frame & forks... certainly turned some heads at Coastline BMX and the weekly race meets at Pontins :becool:

In it's heyday, the grifter had that 'padded' crossbar which was solid as rock, the seat like a sofa (in comparison to the racer's seat) and the meaty mudguard with the plastic ends, which, when folded under the mudguard so it rubbed against the tyre, made a cracking motobike noise... until it completely wore down.
remember when the first BMX came along and Grifters died - good they were meaty

taximan

senex crepitu iuvenis cordi esse
I was brought up long before these new fangled choppers, grifters whatever. my schoolboy steed was a bright red Hercules Jeep. 18 inch wheels with rod brakes, single speed and tin mudguards, but I loved it. My father bought it for me when he realised that the bruises on my knees were caused by my knees hitting the handlebars of my trike. It lasted me a number of years until I swapped it for a pack of playing cards with nude women on them. The first 'long run' I ever did was on that bike. My mate and I cycled from Billingham (nr Middlesbrough) to Durham City and back, a distance of about 40 miles altogether. On thing I remember about that outing was a priest suggesting to us that if we must ride our bikes, perhaps we should take them outside the cathedral. A few minutes later we were rattling down a long steep hill to the market. (the brakes had long since stopped working properly) and almost crashed into a sort of covered roundabout structure containing a rather large policeman on traffic control duty. Horror of horrors, he knew us and leaned forward to look down at the tangle of boy's and bikes he said "I think its time you two buggers went back to Billingham". We were happy to comply and eventually reached home happy and contented. I still look back at that ride as one of the best I have ever done.

I was never allowed any of these 'novelty' bikes, Choppers, Grifters, BMX's etc, but I always bagsied a ride of one of my mates whenever I could.

A couple of them had Grifters, one lad even had a 10 speed purple Chopper, (leave it Fnaar!),and later on most had BMX's. I had racers, I wasn't particularly grateful then, but TBH I'm glad of it now.

A quick Google found this great looking example of a Grifter. I don't think I ever saw/rode one that hadn't had chunks of 'padding' scraped/ripped/picked out of the 'padding' on the bars and the seat!

img_6591_800x800_103.jpg

Kins

Über Member
I claimed my brother's Grifter when he claimed my racing bike. These new fangled BMX things had come along so the Grifter got a new lease of life with BMX everything apart from the frame & forks... certainly turned some heads at Coastline BMX and the weekly race meets at Pontins :becool:

The same. Snapped my rear stanchions? on my BMX, kid on my street was gonna stick his grifter in the skip so swapped everything on to it. Rode like a tank but god, could it take some punishment. Best memories of a bike as a kid, bar none.

I had a grifter XL that I got after thrashing the tomahawk to death. First thing I did was get rid of the rear rack, then took it jumping at the park. It was ace but really heavy, soon moved on to a kuwahara (with blue mags!) that was my pride and joy.

Top Bottom