In praise of... Raleigh Grifter!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
A quick Google found this great looking example of a Grifter. I don't think I ever saw/rode one that hadn't had chunks of 'padding' scraped/ripped/picked out of the 'padding' on the bars and the seat!

img_6591_800x800_103.jpg
Never had a Grifter but wanted one, had a Striker then a rebuilt (by me and Dad) BSA Firebird. Saw this Grifter on the Manchester Sky cityride back in July
IMAG0223_zps9b39e9c8.jpg

The same one perhaps??

Hitchington

Lovely stuff
I always looked at the picture of the Grifter in my mum's catalogue and dreamed of owning one... until my nan gave me her old Raleigh Shopper to ride about on! :laugh:

Bobtoo

Über Member
What about the missing link between Chopper and Grifter? Like most early 70s fashions the Chopper had ceased to be cool long before the Grifter appeared, the kid's bike to have in the mid 70s was the Commando.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
I made a "Gripper" out of a MK1 Chopper and the front end of a Grifter.
Kept the Chopper's gear shifter though.
Comfier than a Grifter and better handling than the Chopper. Still damn heavy though, but fun.
Rode that until I'd grown into the racer I'd had given to me (around 1978) 14Yrs old.
10 speed Campagnolo Record MK1 group set apart from having Mafac centre pull brakes.

flake99please

We all scream for ice cream
I owned a rust brown ‘budgie’ and then a purple ‘commando’. The budgie was great around the Little Bowden skateboard park. :hyper:

Top Bottom