In praise of synth pop and early electro dance music

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
We got son#2 a decent turntable and speakers for Xmas. This prompted me to go hunting in the loft and I managed to find a load of old albums and singles from my and Mrs N's younger days.

Turns out son#2 is a bit of a chip of the old block. Currently delving into Kraftwerk, OMD, Depeche Mode (the early years, not the rocky stuff), Human League, Heaven 17, Visage, Yazoo

Got him onto this today....

DAF "Liebe auf den ersten Blick" - YouTube

I have all Depeche Mode albums, including the recent 12" box sets, visage (The Anvil) album, still sounds awesome today, New Order and Ultravox. All of this sound great on vinyl. :music:

johnblack

Über Member
We got son#2 a decent turntable and speakers for Xmas. This prompted me to go hunting in the loft and I managed to find a load of old albums and singles from my and Mrs N's younger days.

Turns out son#2 is a bit of a chip of the old block. Currently delving into Kraftwerk, OMD, Depeche Mode (the early years, not the rocky stuff), Human League, Heaven 17, Visage, Yazoo

Got him onto this today....

DAF "Liebe auf den ersten Blick" - YouTube
Having loved H17 since I was young, I got to go and see them play the Luxury Gap, they were so good and Glen Gregory is a top bloke. I also saw Gary Numan at the same venue (Roadmender, Northampton) and he was unbelievable. Best gigs of 2019. I'm not a big fan of all the revival stuff and see loads of new acts but they were both awesome.

johnblack

Über Member
I have all Depeche Mode albums, including the recent 12" box sets, visage (The Anvil) album, still sounds awesome today, New Order and Ultravox. All of this sound great on vinyl. :music:
I've been giving some of my vinyl to a couple of my mates kids who are in a band which I help out with. They really like the old DM and New Order stuff, plus the Ultravox live album Monument.

cookiemonster

Legendary Member
I've been giving some of my vinyl to a couple of my mates kids who are in a band which I help out with. They really like the old DM and New Order stuff, plus the Ultravox live album Monument.

If you can get a hold of it, listen to the remastered Ultravox Vienna album on vinyl. Superb sound. The live ‘Return to Eden’ album beats Monument hands down.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.

AndyRM

XOXO
For a more modern take on the genre, check out Perturbator, Carpenter Brut, College, Kavinsky, Mega Drive, Pylot, Dance With the Dead and The Midnight.

John Carpenter is also a massive synth fan and narrated a film called "Rise of the Synths", which is well worth a watch.

None of this is vinyl, but it's all cool music in a banging genre.

Top Bottom