In praise of the British Seaside.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dave7

Legendary Member
For some strange reason no one has mentioned New Brighton :rolleyes:. (Correct me if I missed it).
Seriously, its now well worth a visit.
They have spent serious money on it.
The beaches are now golden. Plenty of walking. Free parking. The pavillion has been rebuilt and has some good shows.
AND.....you can enjoy a 70 mile traffic free coastal bike ride^_^

tom73

Guru
TBF it probably was by bus.
We recall Whitby as nice.
We even recall going to watch Franky Howard and the Morton Frazer harmonica gang.
Go on, ask me who they were :sad:

hehe the former I very much remember a great hit on the student union circuit.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
For some strange reason no one has mentioned New Brighton :rolleyes:. (Correct me if I missed it).
Seriously, its now well worth a visit.
They have spent serious money on it.
The beaches are now golden. Plenty of walking. Free parking. The pavillion has been rebuilt and has some good shows.
AND.....you can enjoy a 70 mile traffic free coastal bike ride^_^
Pity they stopped having the motorcycle races along the promenade. They were great fun.

stephec

Legendary Member
Another vote for Whitley Bay from me, there are loads of excellent places to eat, drink and relax. It's a far cry from as little as ten years ago when Friday and Saturday nights were absolute carnage, and bank holiday weekends were totally mad. It was odd living there and having flashbacks of a younger me engaging in all kinds of unspeakable behaviour as I walked around with my young daughter.

I live in Roker now, a stones throw from the beach, and while the area isn't as nice, the beach is just as lovely. I can't actually think of a bad bit of coastline around these parts, there are a couple of power stations at Blyth and Hartlepool which are a bit hideous, but nothing else comes to mind.

How about Redcar, although to be fair it's at least ten years since I was last there?

Lullabelle

Banana
Aldeburgh is a lovely place :thumbsup:

Went there a few years ago, after staying at Ellesmere Port
(SWMBO was doing some consultancy work, near there)

I liked the old Swimming stadium, even though it was 'altered'
There was also some very British Moderne bus-shelters/toilets (same thing there)

I still regret not getting a good look at Port Sunlight, & the Art Deco/British Moderne railway stations
May 2009

Merseyside. New Brighton. 1.JPG Merseyside. New Brighton. 2.JPG Merseyside. New Brighton. 4.JPG Merseyside. New Brighton. 6.JPG Merseyside. New Brighton. 13.JPG

This was back in the day, when the 'other car' was this (the blue one)
X88 JLT. Out & About. New Brighton. Fort Perch.JPG

On the way back, we called at the Anderton Boat Lift. & had a ride up that!!!
Cheshire. Anderton Boat Lift. 19.JPG

tony111

Veteran
My auntie had a caravan at various sites along the east coast so I spent my 1960's/70's childhood holidays at Bridlington, Witherensea, Hornsea etc.

I used to like the nut shop in the harbour at Brid, and the rare treat of going out for a trip on the Bridlington Queen. The beaches were great for cricket, but it was so windy if you had one of those plastic footballs from Woolworths you could kick it in the air once and never see it again. Great for kites though.

My kids have never had a British seaside holiday nor stayed in a caravan. I tell them you're not really British unless you've had a holiday where you get up in the night to pee in a bucket.
Our holidays were always spent at Brid. Great memories, took my 2 grandaughters there last year. I wanted to let them go on the self drive motor boats that were near the spa. Disappointed to find they they had been bulldozed to make way for the new lifeboat station.

Top Bottom