In praise of the British Seaside.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
D

Deleted member 1258

We know a family that went there every year for thier main holidays. They went for many years.
Personally I think its a dump but that is based on odd days from many years ago and the odd time we drove through on way back from Anglesey.

We prefere llandudno but had a couple of good holidays in Rhyl when the kids were small.

We prefere llandudno but had a couple of good holidays in Rhyl when the kids were small.
I had a week's holiday as a very small kid in Ryhl.
Was talked about for a few years in the family as there used to be some big greenhouse/plant house or something and my younger brother fell in a pond there after some unwise balancing.
In view of the sad decline of many British seaside towns I would be somewhat fearful of paying a return visit.

Very nice thread by the way - will try to post more later.

D

Deleted member 1258

I had a week's holiday as a very small kid in Ryhl.
Was talked about for a few years in the family as there used to be some big greenhouse/plant house or something and my younger brother fell in a pond there after some unwise balancing.
In view of the sad decline of many British seaside towns I would be somewhat fearful of paying a return visit.

Very nice thread by the way - will try to post more later.

We were staying in Llandudno a few years ago and went over to Rhyl, it looked very sad.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Some of the best beaches in the world can be found in Northumberland between Craster and Bamburgh - we holidayed in Beadnell which is just about in the middle. It's getting very pricey up there now though and development seems to be running wild in places.

As a kid it was almost always the Yorkshire Coast, usually Brid or somewhere around there (Barmston, anyone?), but more recently day trips have been to the world's first seaside resort, Scarborough.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Grew up going to Dawlish and the Warren , i have lost count of how many times i have been so now even the kids love it and dont think we have had a proper holiday if we dont go .I will not go abroad what with my lads and wifes health issues i might be playing safe but if there is problem your not trying to explain eg polycystic renal failure in a another language .

1569667207960.png

1569667227277.png

Last edited:

Alex H

Legendary Member
Do you have an authoritative reference for this yorkshire claim?

Wikipedia seems to concur. On the Scarborough page, there is reference to Scarborough Spa being Britain's first seaside resort.

I'd like to know where @NothernDave thinks development is running wild in Nortumberland though?

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
Do you have an authoritative reference for this yorkshire claim?

Well, there is a sign on the town boundary, and this:
Scarborough lays claim to being the first seaside resort in the world with tourists flocking to the East Coast in search of health-giving spa waters as early as the 1600s - https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/wha...resort-that-harbours-a-rich-history-1-7132949

Went on a day trip to Bangor once. Lovely time, lunch included and all for under a pound.

What did you do on the way back? ^_^

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'd like to know where @NorthernDave thinks development is running wild in Nortumberland though?

Beadnell must have doubled in size over the last ten years, with more development signed off recently.
It's all relative, obviously, but it has become noticeable on the last few visits and it all appears to be holiday / second homes (yes, I'm aware of the irony!).
A friend regularly stays in or around Amble and says it's the same there.

Alex H

Legendary Member
Beadnell must have doubled in size over the last ten years, with more development signed off recently. It's all relative, obviously, but it has become noticeable on the last few visits.
A friend regularly stays in or around Amble and says it's the same there.

OK. I see what you mean now. We've only been here 2 years and our last UK address was Milton Keynes - now that is development!

A bit like Newcastle - Wide Open is now one of the biggest new developments :wacko:

Top Bottom