In praise of the officials

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Soltydog

Legendary Member
I dont know if it's just me being used to league 2 officials, but i've been impressed with the standard of the officials so far at the world cup, all the big decisions seem to be spot on, an occasional offside decision wrong, but that's always going to happen. Just hope the league 2 officials are watching & taking note :biggrin:

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
There don't seem to be any historonic egotists among the foreign referees. Our league is full of pompous tits who think they are part of the entertainment (as they often are, but for all the wrong reasons).

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
HLaB said:
The ref's don't seem slow to send folk off but you can't really argue with any of the decisions.

I think the sending off of Cahill in the Germany / Australia game was very harsh

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
HLaB said:
Yip my comment had been pre that; that decision was a shocker. I wouldn't be surprised if the Aussies appealed.
You can't appeal against a red or yellow card unless you can clearly show that no offence was commited. No matter how harsh the referees decision punishment was it will not be overturned.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
There's always some issue at world cups that they clamp down on and means red. Nothing new. The decision was only harsh in the sense that Cahill picked the wrong offence.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
other than the Cahil decision the officials have been really first rate. Time and time again they've got the difficult off-side decisions right.

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
+1. Those were horrible. And one, clearly deliberate, nasty and genuinely dangerous, happened right in front of the ref. The Dutch should have lost one man, if not two.

OP
OP
Soltydog

Soltydog

Legendary Member
HLaB said:
What happened, did this thread put a hex on things? When this thread was originally posted the referees were doing a good Job IMO but subsequently the standard has went right down and some of the decisions have been awful.

I was just thinking that I'd spoke too soon ;)

Top Bottom