in stock or not in stock ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

beepbeep

So I checked the workshop and no shimano mineral oil on the shelf...Mountain bikes need brakes fettling so decided to check my local bike shop for availability..YES !! In stock but minimum order for delivery / click and collect is £30...so I emailed them ''''Yes its in stock locally '' GREAT....Ride to local shop in pissing rain to be told its not in stock .So decide to order 2 x 100 ml bottles from a large online supplier.....shows as ''in stock and available '' so order placed...Next day later email received '' refund for 1 x 100ml bottle as no longer available '' So as phones lines not being used due to covid-19 ( their explanation ) used the chat service......Was advised that ''website does not reflect true stock levels'' ......A further day later...another refund for the other bottle yet the stuff is still showing available on both of their online portals....So tried another two companies......same occurrence...order placed, paid then day after - refund.....So tried another company which has the option to ''click and collect'' ..showing in stock available for local collection....paid up and waited...next day...'sorry item not in stock''.....Now getting annoyed........Is it so hard to update a website with stock levels and secondly is there an embargo on Shimano mineral oil for brakes ?

Drago

Legendary Member
Don't wait until you need them to order essential maintenance supplies. That's like waiting until you've had a Forrest Gump before buying loo roll.

sleuthey

Legendary Member
Throughout lockdown I have found eBay to be just as reliable for bike parts, plus everything else, as they were before lockdown. It’s where I get the vast majority of my parts, always.

DCLane

Found in the Yorkshire hills ...
A lot of the online sites are holding little stock; they mostly come from major trade stockists such as Madison. It's their database listing we're seeing and if that's wrong then it's 'out of stock', but in reality it's 'out of stock at supplier'.

Last edited:

si_c

Guru
Some websites just have terrible stock control systems that are either infrequently or inaccurately updated.

Try epic bleed solutions, they provide a shimano compatible mineral oil and they're showing in stock. I've used it in all my Shimano hydraulics and it works exactly the same as the Shimano stuff and is significantly cheaper too.

OP
OP
beepbeep

beepbeep

Don't wait until you need them to order essential maintenance supplies. That's like waiting until you've had a Forrest Gump before buying loo roll.

I dont ride the MTB that often ....and thought I had enough on the shelf :sad:

OP
OP
beepbeep

beepbeep

I asked....but his boss will not allow.......even asked if I colud bring my own container.....no was the answer ...contamination...claim against the shop etc ....

Binka

Über Member
Just had this from All Terrain Cycles, not impressed. Now had to order the item from Tredz and am not holding my breath, says they won’t have it in stock for 14 days. I suspect it’s sold out everywhere and I won’t get it. But hey, they get my £70 for a few weeks!

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
I have a 1 litre container of Shimano mineral oil. I bought it a while back not realising how little you actually use. I also have an empty 100ml container that previously contained mineral oil. Can confirm it’s all good as used for new recumbent hydraulics back in November.

I could be persuaded to post 100ml of mineral oil for a suitable payment.

OP
OP
beepbeep

beepbeep

I have a 1 litre container of Shimano mineral oil. I bought it a while back not realising how little you actually use. I also have an empty 100ml container that previously contained mineral oil. Can confirm it’s all good as used for new recumbent hydraulics back in November.

I could be persuaded to post 100ml of mineral oil for a suitable payment.
thanks for the offer - but I think ive managed to locate some from Edinburgh Cycle Coop )

OP
OP
beepbeep

beepbeep

Just had this from All Terrain Cycles, not impressed. Now had to order the item from Tredz and am not holding my breath, says they won’t have it in stock for 14 days. I suspect it’s sold out everywhere and I won’t get it. But hey, they get my £70 for a few weeks!
All terrain have also changed their online purchase system - now require a minimum purchase of £30. !!!!! And its the same for click and collect !!

Top Bottom