In which I play the villain..

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

8mile

Moved house recently and the first mile or two of my commute have changed so I've been trying a few variations. This morning I cut through a park and on rejoining the road ran out straight into the path of an oncoming car! It was all very low speed but nevertheless the driver's quick reactions saved us from a collision for which I would have been 100% blameworthy.

Needless to say he was a little shaken and very cross, I apologized as best I could immediately and profusely trying to explain that I am a considerate and careful cyclist and this was all very unusual. He calmed down and we parted with a smile.

I had of course checked the road prior to joining. It was empty on my side for the 100yards or so that I could see but I think the car must have been obscured from my view by a low wall on the pavement. In hindsight I think the wall was just big enough to obscure the view of the car at the split second I looked up. Not an excuse, just a possible explanation of events.

Counting my self very lucky that the driver was alert and quick and eventually calm. Another one of life's inexhaustible supply of lessons is learned even after 15yrs of cycle commuting!!

Be careful.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
I think it just highlights the need to cycle defensively and stay alert. We need more lerts!

Top Bottom