Inattention at the wheel.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's common - the driver that hit me wasn't paying attention

KnackeredBike

I do my own stunts
Hopefully within the decade when self driving cars are mainstream they ban human drivers nice and quickly rather than prevaricate and let people continue driving to give them "freedom".

Putting humans in charge of two tonnes of fast moving metal on the merit of 45 minutes of examined driving once in their life was a bloody stupid idea from the start.

simongt

Guru
Part of the issue being that when a certain type of person gets behind the wheel of a car, they immediately think they're Stirling Moss. :evil:Oh, is that showing my age up - ? ! :rofl:

OP
OP
Cycleops

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Get with it! It's Lewis Hamilton now.

Manic

And wear high-viz. :evil:

And fit reflectors to their pedals - one single law for all, isn't it? :evil:
Despite wearing a VisiJax I now have a cracked helmet because a motorist was chatting to her kids on the back seat. She realised too late that there was a cyclist ahead and locked her brakes up at about forty mph so will have been slightly slower when she ploughed into me. It wasn't that I wasn't easily visible, just that she thought something more important than looking out of the big window in front of her. Surely if kids are strapped in and unarmed then they can't do anything that can't wait to be dealt with once you've stopped your vehicle? My childhood Judo practice helped mitigate injury from falling, just grazes and a broken rib from rolling onto my handlebars (I think).

simongt

Guru
'...more important...' - ? Judging by what and I'm sure many of us see on a daily basis, there are many things that some drivers consider more important than simply concentrating on the road ahead; texting / phoning / fiddling with the cd player or ipod or even eating a pasta snack meal at 70mph in the middle lane of the A.1 - ! :eek:

Bonefish Blues

Banging donk
Aahh - ! Understand that the great Stirling packed up veteran racing a few years back because as he said 'speed was beginning to scare me'. :eek: Not bad for an eighty something - ! :rofl:
It wasn't the racing that nearly did for him though. He would have been better to have given up using lifts. Bad taste? :biggrin:

byegad

Legendary Member
Given I followed a car the other day (In my wife's car 'cos I no longer own one.) which wandered from literally brushing the kerb with resulting smoke from the sidewalls to being 3 feet over the central white line and varying in speed from 40 to 60 mph, some motorists find all sorts of things to do on the move instead of driving. When I stopped along side it at a set of traffic lights where I was turning right, the young lady driving it (well she was in the seat behind the steering wheel.) was attempting to redo her make-up in the rear view mirror. Presumably she had been doing it whilst on the move.
:banghead::banghead::banghead:

classic33

Leg End Member
Given I followed a car the other day (In my wife's car 'cos I no longer own one.) which wandered from literally brushing the kerb with resulting smoke from the sidewalls to being 3 feet over the central white line and varying in speed from 40 to 60 mph, some motorists find all sorts of things to do on the move instead of driving. When I stopped along side it at a set of traffic lights where I was turning right, the young lady driving it (well she was in the seat behind the steering wheel.) was attempting to redo her make-up in the rear view mirror. Presumably she had been doing it whilst on the move.
:banghead::banghead::banghead:
Got passed by a car, driver(male) getting some "relief" from the passenger(female) in Keighley. Decided to stay behind when we reached the lights. Safer for me.

Top Bottom