Incident at May Birmingham critical mass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andyfromotley

Maz said:
Citizen's arrest, possibly?

errm no. Only a constable in uniform can stop a car, (s136 rta). Not a citizen, not a constable in plain clothes, not cyclists.

S24 pace governs the so called 'Any person' powers of arrest. That'll be citizens arrest in plain english. It's really complicated with a number of conditions which need to be met before a citizens arrest can be made. From what i saw in that video it's highly unlikely such conditions were met.

The problems this causes are many, but predominantly if those unlawfully detained use force to make good their escape, say by driving over the cyclists blocking them in,then it is highly likely that the police, cps or courts would find thier actions reasonable.

See its a complicated world out there and people need to be careful about doing stuff like that because things dont always turn out the way you might have envisaged.

andy

Joe24

More serious cyclist than Bonj
I never get CM. But then i have never done one. Nottingham doesnt have one i dont think. But i dont really agree completely with it, it would just make car drivers not like cyclists more.
Bit too slow for me aswell.
Was bad for the car driver to hit the cyclist though. I think the cyclist must be used to it though, they all seem to be really calm.

Trillian

andyfromotley said:
errm no. Only a constable in uniform can stop a car, (s136 rta). Not a citizen, not a constable in plain clothes, not cyclists.

andy

if there has been a bump does it not become an attempt to leave the scene of an accident? in which case it's a different set of rules.

Maz

Guru
Trillian said:
if there has been a bump does it not become an attempt to leave the scene of an accident? in which case it's a different set of rules.
Good point.
It's a potato, a hot one. Over to you...catch, andyfromotley.

LLB

Maz said:
Good point.
It's a potato, a hot one. Over to you...catch, andyfromotley.

I would have thought it would have been waived if you proceeded directly to the police station to call it in given that the riders involved were openly confrontational and IMO cruising the streets as a gang and looking for a punch-up.

The footage is damning as the participants come across as a bunch of agitators looking for trouble.

LLB

lifeson said:
This is a better incident :biggrin:

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMdoG26cC94&feature=related

although not clear why the guy attacked

Seeing as he was getting back into his car, I'd have said that the rider specific had been agitating him prior to the event to make him want to get out of his vehicle to confront him amongst a large group.

Good to see that one of the cyclists had the good sense to keep the others off him, as it wouldn't be very good PR for CM as a whole.

Jaded

It's funny, most of the posts on that YouTube thread made more sense that LLB posts on here! :biggrin:

LLB

Jaded said:
It's funny, most of the posts on that YouTube thread made more sense that LLB posts on here! ;)

I'll make it plainer for you

1)Rider winds motorist up by deliberately obstructing his progress
2)Driver pulls over to side of road, runs over and sticks one on the said cyclist
3)Other cyclists decide to jump the driver
4)Sensible cyclist jumps in to stop driver from being beaten to death by angry mob.
5)Driver gets back in his car still trying to figure out why aggressive group of cyclists are riding around mob handed
6)Sensible cyclist rides off wondering why he got involved in CM in the first place.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
linfordlunchbox said:
I'll make it plainer for you

1)Rider winds motorist up by deliberately obstructing his progress
2)Driver pulls over to side of road, runs over and sticks one on the said cyclist
3)Other cyclists decide to jump the driver
4)Sensible cyclist jumps in to stop driver from being beaten to death by angry mob.
5)Driver gets back in his car still trying to figure out why aggressive group of cyclists are riding around mob handed
6)Sensible cyclist rides off wondering why he got involved in CM in the first place.

Linford you should be writing for the Red Tops, your ideas of hatred the terminally negative are totally exaggerated to the point of buffoonary.

Top Bottom