Incident In Netherton, Liverpool - Including 'electric bike'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
One witness at the scene suggested the cyclist was being chased but police have said there is nothing to suggest this on its logs. they have erased this off all their logs

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
These 'stealth bombers' seem to be very popular at the moment. Basically electric MX bikes with pedals. Seriously quick, and totally silent

dodgy

These 'stealth bombers' seem to be very popular at the moment. Basically electric MX bikes with pedals. Seriously quick, and totally silent

Seen a few on the Burton Marsh Greenway (NCN568) lately, not sure if it's just one guy or a number of them. But they whip along there at easily 40mph. Probably what will happen is that there will be an accident one day and the RSPB will just shut the route * rather than persuade the police to do something about it.

* They've done this before during lockdown (of all times!).

Ste T.

Guru
Appalling writing standards, unless the ebike became sentient.
To be fair, this is the Liverpool Echo.
I once read a main headline saying "Man sees a dead body walking to work".
I thought there's one in the eye for anyone going on about lazy Scousers. We've got work ethic so strong we still carry on after we've kicked the bucket.

mustang1

Guru
There is some glaringly missing info I in the news:
What kind of lampost was it?
How tall was it?
Was it upgraded to LED or still had the old lighting system?
Was the light on/off/flashing at the time of the incident?
What colour is it?
What brand is it?

This is pathetic.

CXRAndy

Guru
Looking at it from a use point It was how the bike was ridden and the possibility of being pursued by the police that most led to the rider hitting a lamppost

That’s an illegal moped not a bike
You are correct, there is no such thing as an illegal e-bike, as if it does not follow the rules it is a motor bike or moped, it may be an unregistered motor bike, or have many other items which don't comply with the law.

The problem is over the years the rules have changed, and they are not in the main retrospective, so design date matters, also there are ways for example to reduce the output of a 350 watt motor to 250 watt, simply by setting the software in the controller. So a hub showing 350 watt is not automatic in turning the unit into a motor bike. Same with the walk assist, it should stop at 4 MPH, and the road speed limited to 16 MPH, but how can the police actually know?

It is clear with 1000 watt on the hub it is not going to be simply turned down in the software, but 350 watt, it would need to go on a dynamonitor, which is likely if involved in a crash where police attend, but stopping cyclist on a cycle path to check motor outputs, do you really think that's worth it?

If on the road what is the charge going to be? riding without insurance, without an MOT, this it the point with the scooters, it is a motor vehicle so needs brakes on both wheels, and has to pass a MOT it is not an e-bike so is not licence free. So riding one will put points on your driving licence, the same would apply is a motor bike is ridden without being registered and insurance etc.

But easy with an old motor vehicle with no seat belts, it has been registered so there is a clear date when it was registered so also clear what rules it follows, but since there is not certificate of newness or any other thing to show the age of an e-bike, there is also nothing to show which version of the rules it must follow.

The old story about the age of an axe, it is 1000 years old, it has had the head changed and the shaft changed over the years. So nothing now on the axe more than 5 years old, but still considered as family heirloom.

So I change the frame and change the wheels but the originally bike I got when I was 10, the only thing 60 years old now is the drink holder, but still a 60 year old bike.

Dec66

A gentlemanly pootler, these days
Leaving aside the journalism, I used to work in Netherton. To call it an area of sink estates would be giving it glamour it doesn't deserve.
It was a culture shock to say the least. I would be very surprised if the bike hadn't been modded.
All the cliches about scousers are frequently wide of the mark, but not in Netherton. A scary place for the unwary.
Could be worse, could be Netherley...

Top Bottom