incident in Warwick - myton school

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

buggi

Bird Saviour
someone got knocked off at Myton School in Warwick. wondered if anyone knew who it was.

my mate was going past. new cycle lane that crosses the driveway entrance to a school. car at entrance to school completely on top of a bike. fortunately cyclist still alive but sitting in the road. not sure how injured he was.

Pete

Pants. Hope the cyclist wasn't too badly hurt (don't suppose there's much hope for the bike). Just shows how treacherous these cycle lanes are, especially where intersected by a side road or busy side entrance. If anyone must use such a lane (I assume it was a line-of-paint-along-the-road job and not a segregated track or shared pavement), then always be prepared, and move out carefully into the main road at such places.

Was the car going in to, or coming out of the school? Not that it exonerates the driver, either way.

OP
OP
buggi

buggi

Bird Saviour
it's one of those cycle lanes that's purpose built to share with pedestrians. it's only been completed a couple of months (in fact they are still completing the other end of it).

my work campaigned for it because the road is really fast, but i've never used it, always thought it was dangerous. the entry to it is just off an island, it's a bit dodgy to get on. it's not quite wide enough to have a line painted down it to separate peds from cyclists (apparently needs to be 3ft wide to do that and it's not quite), no dropped kerb to come off it at the other end, and the school's entrance, where this incident happened, is in the middle of it. spoke to a guy at work woh is liaising with the council and he said the school were really unhelpful to the council when they built it and talks are underway with them. however, he didn't know about this incident so it's more ammunition.

none of the cyclists at work use it now anyway, because of the amount of peds on it in the morning.

Top Bottom