Incident with arrogant tow truck driver mounting cyclepath

Status
Not open for further replies.
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
And that sent you in to a massive rage?
It was not a 'massive rage'.

I do however, object to being told to F-Off by some arrogant driver who clearly broke the law, drove up into the middle of a segregated path, no hazard lights, he'd not broken down, nor was he making a phone call as far as I could tell. I have no idea why he stopped but it seemed to me just for pure convenience, maybe to pick someone up. As I said before, there is ample space nearby to park temporarily, I see people do it all the time. It's just that a cycle path is not a free car park. I do get fed up of motorists who view pavements & segregated paths as just another handy space for their convenience.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Given that so many people operate on a knife edge of civility, I expect to be sworn at if I remark on a driver's poor driving.

With that in mind, I tend to make my remark when just about past the driver, so that by the time he gathers his thoughts to swear at me I am a few metres down the road.

Personal safety is all but guaranteed, but more importantly, I am not stood still with no alternative but to take the inevitable abuse.

It's not quite so irritating to be called lots of nasty names to my departing back.

I do however, object to being told to F-Off by some arrogant driver who clearly broke the law, drove up into the middle of a segregated path, no hazard lights, he'd not broken down, nor was he making a phone call as far as I could tell. I have no idea why he stopped but it seemed to me just for pure convenience, maybe to pick someone up. As I said before, there is ample space nearby to park temporarily, I see people do it all the time. It's just that a cycle path is not a free car park. I do get fed up of motorists who view pavements & segregated paths as just another handy space for their convenience.

There is no way you can successfully argue with someone who is stupid. They lack the brain power to accurately interpret your words or understand any injustice they may cause. You can not teach common sense. People either have it or they don't. Unfortunately the world has more stupid in it than intelligent. This is why there are more guns in it than particle accelerators and test tubes. This also means stupid people have more power, the most famous of which is an orange pervert.
It is infuriating to hear some of the crap people say or do, online or not, but resist the urge to argue back. You will end up feeling even more pissed off and end up getting moderated, arrested or generally reprimanded while the idiot will just keep on idioting anyway.
On the other hand agreeing with an idiot can have benefits of its own. I once got out of a speeding ticket this way. Its probably best not to agree or argue with an idiot generally tho.

I'd have thought a good way to avoid an RTA is not to drive towards other road users in the expectation they'll jump out of the way.

I had a think about this while riding home from work: I reckon you reacted the right way. The trouble with behaviour like this is that it can so easily become normal, and not just on cycleways, but pavements and disabled parking spaces, which means more and more vulnerable people have to work around car users who are prepared to threaten others to get what they want.

From experience the verbal abuse was because he knew he shouldn't have been driving towards you or parking there, and you dared call him out for his behaviour. It was an attempt to make you back down. I wonder if your comment about a traffic offence rattled him which is why he'd gone by the time your boss came along. Maybe he realised you knew you were correct and was worried you were calling the police.

I've also noticed that often people react by swearing but they rely on others backing down and putting up with their bullying. Being reminded that some people stand up to them makes a difference.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
That is the best policy and if you can find a company name even better. On a couple of occasions when I've spoken to a driver I've asked if their company would be happy with the way they speak to possible customers (or words to that effect), doesn't usually make any difference at the time, but maybe they will think about it later and wonder if they are going to get called in for a chat with the boss.

Tow truck firm bosses aren't like loigistic firms bosses. The likelihood is the said boss started his career as a towtruck driver, so is as adept at the use of force as the next knuckle dragger.. Now hes risen to the ranks of 'boss' and has a 12 year old Mercedes and aleather jacket he may not punch you in the throat purely for the pleasure of watching you do the The Chicken as a tow truck driver would, but the over developed "Don't Give a F***" centre of his brain will ensure that nothing positive ever comes out of any complaint he receives.

classic33

Leg End Member
Has this site suddenly been invaded by Victor Meldrews. The op has no idea why the truck stopped there. He could have had a mechanical problem. Should the question not have been. "Could you tell me why you are parked on the cycle path". But unless people sign up and wear a tit hat like I did. You have no authority to tell people where they can park. What do you think the driver was going to say. Im terribly sorry I will move immediatley"? At best it would be "Mind your own business". If the Victors in here want to be cycle path policemen. Maybe you can start with those cyclist's who litter the cycle paths with gel wrappers
The cyclist has the right to ask why he decided to stop in the face of oncoming traffic, legally using the highway.

Would the rules be different for another motor vehicle. He'd already crossed out of one lane. Question is why?

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia

Glad you kept your cool, best way to deal with these morons is to get the evidence & report them to employers/council. He could have given you a polite explanation if he had one - clearly had no such thing.

Drago

Legendary Member
The cyclist has the right to ask why he decided to stop in the face of oncoming traffic, legally using the highway.

Would the rules be different for another motor vehicle. He'd already crossed out of one lane. Question is why?

True buddy, but jn this case it's a futile exercise. Ni chance at all anytbj g positive would come kf it, and a high chance a hero could enf up with ulcers fretting over it.

You gotta know when to hold, and when to fold. It's wrong, but it's reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom