Increase brake rotor size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stuarttunstall

Hi

Having had my Scott Sub Cross 10 for a few weeks now I must say I love it, really nice to ride after such a long time away...

Now, this is fitted with the following brake system:-

Shimano BR-M395 / Hydr. Disc / SM-RT54 CL Rotor / 160F/160R

As I live in a very hilly area and a lot of what I do is up and down hills, some steep, is it possible to fit larger rotors, maybe 203mm to improve braking?

If so, what would I need to do this :smile:

Thanks

Stuart

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Would have thought the existing set up would be plenty good enough. Maybe they haven't bedded in yet?

Last edited:
OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

That is possible I suppose, although I have only done about 65 miles since I got the bike they do get used a lot .. as I say the area I am getting used to the bike in is all up and down, some steep hills..

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
York isn't hilly! (If you are nipping over to the Dales - yes, it IS very hilly there!)

If your brakes were working properly then you wouldn't need bigger rotors. There are plenty of 25+% hills round here and I never have a problem with 160 mm front and rear on my mountain bike, or 160 mm front, 140 mm rear on my cyclocross bike.

D

Deleted member 26715

I was going to say first port of call would be back to the dealer you bought it from, you should be due a free 6 week service, let them look at it. Could be that you have glazed the pads, a new set or a different type of pad might be the solution. as to bigger disks, looking on the Scott page the 10 is their top trekking bike so logically has the top spec parts. Even their £10k MTB only has a 180 disc, which might be an option for you, but I think going to 200+ will necessitate having brackets made to move the calliper out, IF you can get a disc to fit on the wheel. All I would say is be careful, I've seen some horrendous bodge jobs done on car & motorbike brakes, it's yours & other peoples lives you are potentially playing with.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
A 203mm cable disc brake will stop a tandem with a heavyweight crew from 30mph in feet. You don't need one.

As others have said, get your brakes checked.

NorthernDave

Never used Über Member
I'd be surprised if properly set up 160mm rotors weren't up to the job.
I've got them on both my road bikes and according to a mate I "descend like I'm on fire" and they've never failed to stop me.
Yet. ;)

I'd agree it's worth getting them checked over.

OP
OP
stuarttunstall

stuarttunstall

York isn't hilly! (If you are nipping over to the Dales - yes, it IS very hilly there!)

If your brakes were working properly then you wouldn't need bigger rotors. There are plenty of 25+% hills round here and I never have a problem with 160 mm front and rear on my mountain bike, or 160 mm front, 140 mm rear on my cyclocross bike.

It is when you live on the Yorkshire wolds.

Top Bottom