Increase In Aggression This Year

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Holdsworth

Über Member
I had a HGV come up behind me on the A51 going south just before Hurleston canal Bridge. There was a lot of traffic in the oncoming lane and I was in a half decent secondary away from the white line which marks the edge of the carriageway. He had to slow right down to overtake and then decided to give a beep followed by hand gestures and a close overtake, these were swiftly followed by my own language and hand signals
blush.gif

I probably could've handled it better by staying calm and letting it pass but I wasn't ready to let it go without at least trying to show my displeasure.

In contrast I had another HGV, who stayed patiently behind me from just before the lights at the crossroads at Burford down to the next canal bridge on the A51 road that on to Reaseheath. I pulled in to let him and the other traffic pass when I got to the lay-by just on the other side of the canal, he gave me a thank you wave as he passed and I gave him one back
wave.gif

brokenbetty

Über Member
No more aggression from drivers but the roads seem much busier recently. There have been jams in places that usually only jam after an accident.

JDP

Andiamo
I agree jezston, not been a great year. I've been followed to the train station and threatened, had several deliberate pull-outs while they've been looking and smiling at me and the usual incompetence. All a bit depressing really. I think the reasons you give are spot on; there's been a lot of negative cycling press this year and it's only going to get worse as people's perceived increased motoring costs rise. Add in the fact that there'll be no plod around and no speed cameras and it's shaping up to be a great year.

Paul

Had one of these yesterday. Three men in a white van. I'm fairly sure it was done deliberately to get me to slam on the brakes (which I did). They were laughing as they pulled away but sadly didn't respond to my one fingered salute.

I don't kow if things are getting more agressive this year but I think that the more I cycle, and read about other people rides here, the more sensitive I am to it.

Norm

Nope, I'd say the opposite. I've had one memorably-close pass in about a dozen commutes... and I stopped off at a local haulage company on the way in yesterday morning to thank the tipper-lorry driver who followed me for several minutes up a hill because there wasn't an opportunity to overtake. Good chap, his face went from nervous ("uh oh, what now") to angry ("I never did anything, fecking cyclists") to amazement ("did he really just come all the way up here to thank me") in a few seconds.

snorri

Legendary Member
Anyone noticing more 'incidents' on their commutes since the beginning of this year?
I don't commute, but have been rather too close to three incidents already this year, all on rural roads, and considering the reduced cycling done due to snow and ice, that is a lot!
A close high speed overtake in the face of oncoming motor traffic.
A fast overtake on a blind right hand bend, I could see the approaching JCB, my overtaker couldn't.
Today a clown giving a prolonged blast on the horn close behind me, then overtook quickly and very close for no possible reason other than to intimidate me. (This car had an easily memorised personal number plate :o) )
The latter reported to the police by phone, they later visited my house for a full report.

gb155

Fan Boy No More.
I did notice a lot more cars are passing a lot closer than ever before TBH

could be something and nothing but there were a couple that were so close just yesterday that they made me jump.

Top Bottom