Increase in close passes? Possible reasons?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
i get close passes a lot 😔 couple of long straight roads i've to go on before getting to quieter roads so you get the drivers with 'as fast as possible' mindset. i like the term 'punishment pass' too, definitely a lot of that goes on
it can be a white knuckle ride hearing the car approaching at speed from behind, will they be going as close as possible, will they be nice and move over the white line 🤔😧

generally what i feel is most drivers just don't care, whatever it takes to get round you. shame as cycling used to be fun.
very hard not to give a salute to those that near kill you, i mean how else will they know? but it's likely just to make them hate cyclists more. they are clearly damaged anyway :cursing:

i have been thinking of taking the fight to the drivers, the nice ones anyway, and giving a wave for a respectful pass when appropriate..?
did it with a guy who was pulling out of his drive, he pulled his nose back in for me to pass, i waved. then he passed me with loads of room on up the road 👍

I often give a wave or thumbs up if a driver has waited to pass rather than squeezing through dangerously.

A genuine suggestion: cycle (a little) more erratically. Occasional exaggerated swerves around potholes definitely makes drivers give you more space. I think riding sans helmet may do too, though I'm less sure on that. Basically anything to suggest you're an irresponsible idiot makes you safer. Ironically.

D

Deleted member 26715

I often give a wave or thumbs up if a driver has waited to pass rather than squeezing through dangerously.
I think that is important, when they have waited to show your appreciation

GrandadRob

Sorry for being late, just came across this thread.
I am in rural Herefordshire, mostly riding country lanes, and the occasional fast B road complete with 40 tonners etc. The country lanes feature short cuts with Mums taking kids to school and running late, vast amount of potholes and/or missing tarmac, very very large tractors and more.
Over many years my experiences are varied, firstly it is important to reward good behaviour, a wave costs nothing. But after a couple of close shaves from large tractors and artics, I invested in two very very bright flashing red rear lights. I noticed the difference immediatly, I could hear feet lifting off the gas, and motorists saw me as being a risk to THEM. It is obviously not the answer to everything, but sometimes after a close shave on a B road with a car (the trucks are usually fine) I analise, was it my fault. Most of the time the answer is yes. Because in order for them to pass by me I obviously gave them too much room. On a busy two lane road, with cars coming towards you.....own the lane. If you dont own it completely that is when the chancers will squeeze between you and the cars coming the other way. When you consider it safe enough, move over a little, wave them past and give them an acknowledgement for waiting. Well thats my story anyway.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
I remember cycling in Medway was the land of twattery. They had to be in front of you no matter what.

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
It ain't pleasant. I remember once when I had a military motorcycle and sidecar waiting in traffic and some twat leering out his window rolling slowly in the other lane hit the car in front and most of his flared bodykit fell off. Lights changed and I rode off trying not wet myself.

G3CWI

Veteran
Two nice ones today. Started riding with a camera. Two rides, three Police reports.

Attachments

• 20A07181-2054-4A08-B069-EE26A7713611.jpeg
    20A07181-2054-4A08-B069-EE26A7713611.jpeg
    24.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 6885266D-AEC4-44AB-B152-09A2BEA15C4E.jpeg
    6885266D-AEC4-44AB-B152-09A2BEA15C4E.jpeg
    39.9 KB · Views: 7

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
Two nice ones today. Started riding with a camera. Two rides, three Police reports.

I still have many rides with no reports - been using quieter routes now I'm commuting less often.. but it's good to be able to report those who don't get it right. :okay:

Top Bottom