Increase in close passes? Possible reasons?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Has anyone else experienced an increase in close passes recently? I had 5 today, 3 earlier in the week. That's not normal.

Out of the 8 this week, 1 was certainly a deliberate punishment pass. Of the others, I could not say for sure if this was anywhere between poor judgement of space or malice.

I've noticed there's often a Friday afternoon syndrome - where motor vehicle speeds are increased and tolerance decreased - the rush to get home for the weekend, but that, for me, doesn't cover what has happened today.

There are a lot more, and many new cyclists around here : is this causing more frustration for those using 4 wheels?

Has the devastating effect of coronavirus in life been translating onto the roads too?

Is this new aggression in driving to be temporary, or more sustained?

What's going on?

The volume of motor traffic here seems to be very much back to the mind numbing and regressive level of b.c. I did not expect anything else in this part of the world.

Aside from the possible reasons, it'd be good to learn if CC readers have a consensus on how we deal with close or punishment passes?

In any case, let's stay safe!

Mo1959

Legendary Member
There’s certainly a massively increased amount of cyclists on the roads. No doubt this infuriates those drivers who are already anti-cyclist, but to take out their frustrations by deliberately passing too close is unforgivable and so dangerous. One wobble the wrong way from a cyclist and it could end up in tragedy. I don’t understand their mind set at all. :sad:

Mrs M

Guru
I was cycling home from work the other day and about 150 yards from my front door I was close passed by someone who I think just took a chance and couldn’t wait for a few seconds until the oncoming car passed me. Gave them a very clear signal to “get over” (to my right) :angry:
Gave me a wee scare and made Mr M even more reluctant for me to buy an electric bike to cycle regularly to work once all this is over :sad:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Traffic is still very light in South East Machester. There are idiots out driving, and these are the ones that are the usual idiots, but taking advantage of quiet roads. I've actually found general driving much more pleasant - people letting you out etc.

I don't do much road use now, but that that I have ridden locally has been fine, but a big lumbering Trail MTB and the wide bars makes you look quite 'big'. Blessed with lots of tracks round here !

tom73

Guru
I've had more the last two days some very close for comfort. One this morning yards from home the old couple in the car looked totally oblivious to any problem. Even when I started shouting any closer and he'd have taken me out. I've also had verbal from 2 drivers in two days never been an issue before. Seeing more out on bikes so guess some are getting heated sooner than before. But i'm sorry pinch points and park cars are not a time for me to move over.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I had a close pass just the other day from a Merc.. Very close; and I reacted with the WTF? gesture and a Nescafé "bean shaker" with the hand. About a mile further on, the car was stopped in a lay-by with the occupants (x2) standing beside it. I thought I was in for a bit of aggro for my reaction, but thought to myself, "must stand up for my principles here - DO NOT back down!" As I reached the lay-by I saw that the occupants were a Chinese couple, normally I would have thought tourists in a hire car; but during lockdown?
Anyway, I left it at a quick shout as I passed them "You need to leave more space when you pass cyclists, ok?" The male driver gave a sort of acknowledgement with his hand, and I cycled on. Five minutes later, they overtake again; this time almost on the opposite verge! Good; but I don't think the oncoming car driver was overly impresssed.
I've been out this evening for a 18 mile circuit, some of it on the A78 trunk road. Traffic levels are back up to near normal. Can't say I noticed any increase in close passes; in fact a few were annoyingly hesitant when it was completely clear for them to go for it. Perhaps lack of confidence if they're young and inexperienced and haven't driven for a few weeks?

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
I've only had one recently, since you ask what we do to deal with them I usually raise my right arm out to the centre of the road, palm upward... sort of like when you see a painting of Jesus and he's almost going "hey, what gives here?". An indication they need to be further out thataway.
20200529_200055.jpg

It's not remotely aggressive, more a plea. Or so I thought.

This gentle gesture to a close passing moron (who I've no doubt did it on purpose to get a reaction, since he was obviously checking his mirror after the pass) caused him to slam on his brakes and slide to a halt in a cloud of rubbery smoke. We then danced a merry dance for the next mile in the style of "Duel" with him driving off only to stop a little further on, me stopping short of the rear of his car. I feared that if I went past he may have wanted that, and possibly might have tried to nudge me off. Who knows. He gave up eventually once I got my phone camera out and filmed him.

Mike_P

Guru
I had what was probably an inadvertent close pass yesterday coming off a roundabout and the overtaking car cut in probably not realising I had increased my speed. This evening mega wide passes were the norm probably due to having switched on a flashing rear light and having yellow shoes on, the flash of a yellow shoe always makes me when driving feel like I need to be even further away.

Over the course of the day I doubt there's any more close passes but traffic is less peaky and spread out across the day making traffic in traditionally quiet times in which I usually cycle busier so it feels like there is slightly more close passes but it also feels like there's slightly more polite drivers too who hang back for ages or wait instead of pulling out. Nothing scientific though only feeling :okay:

OP
OP
avecReynolds531

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Thanks for the replies & comments. Glad it's not the same all over UK as has been here. Planning to get out again over the weekend & we'll see how it goes.

I've commuted in 3 major cities over many years. Several times a loud shout was necessary to avoid collisions, another time an emergency sideways bunnyhop at speed probably saved my life.

I've had a car turn into my bike at low speed - I was able to stay upright - the car stopping with my hand slapping the windscreen. To their credit, the shaken driver got out and apologised, asking if I was ok.

That's been the extent of my road negotiations so far - touch wood. I tend to keep calm & polite, trying to create good karma on the road i.e. helping cars pass or let them filter in front if queuing etc... but I do treat every vehicle as if they potentially will kill you.

I had a pal who carried a substantial D lock & claimed it could be 'persuasive' in necessary road negotiations!

Kent will never be Holland. Maybe it's been a bad week - where we live has not been used to, or generally accepting of two wheels: a situation escalated with the recently increased numbers of people cycling, some are slow, wobbly and more vulnerable. None of us, especially them, need to be harassed on the roads.

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
Over the course of the day I doubt there's any more close passes but traffic is less peaky and spread out across the day making traffic in traditionally quiet times in which I usually cycle busier so it feels like there is slightly more close passes but it also feels like there's slightly more polite drivers too who hang back for ages or wait instead of pulling out. Nothing scientific though only feeling :okay:
I've been thinking that for a while, that driving is becoming more polarise with drivers either being brilliantly safe and courteous, or utter loons, with fewer taking the middle ground.

OP
OP
avecReynolds531

avecReynolds531

Veteran
I've been thinking that for a while, that driving is becoming more polarise with drivers either being brilliantly safe and courteous, or utter loons, with fewer taking the middle ground.
Good point about polarising - is this temporary or going to be the long term future for us? What to do with the utter loons?

I'm wondering how regional all this is...

Top Bottom