Increase in close passes? Possible reasons?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PeteXXX

Cake or ice cream? The choice is endless ...
Driving a lot of miles on 'big' roads, I've noticed that some cyclists are taking advantage of the fact that there's less traffic to try out roads not usually sensible (yes, I know we should be OK to pedal in safety anywhere, but.. ) to ride.
Now the traffic is building up again, maybe drivers using these routes are not used to bikes being there.
I've seen all types of kit in, places I'd certainly not like to be, from families out for a bimble to lycra'd up facing snakes..

It's still no excuse for close passes, it's just a thought.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
I have noticed in the last couple of rides some drivers getting closer.
I know it doesn't stop an incident happening, but having a camera can give a bad driver a sting and may make them think twice before pulling a similar stunt on another cyclist.

OP
OP
avecReynolds531

avecReynolds531

Veteran
Thanks for all the posts, thoughts and experiences out there - much appreciated.

Today was fine - no trouble at all, but a lot less traffic. Drivers were courteous and the great majority acknowledging when I'd let them pass (including local traffic police).

Agreed, deliberate punishment passes are for reaction: I reckon also for intimidation - that seems different territory. Maybe some of these drivers hope they can force some of us to give up two wheels... who know what goes on in a brain like that?

Having a camera seems a good idea - I haven't got round to that yet. Cyclegaz and CyclingMikey have done fantastic work (Youtube) around London, and the Met seem to be taking things seriously. Again, there's debate regarding regional variance.

We'll see how things go. Keep safe everyone!

Last edited:

Mike_P

Guru
On the subject of cyclists using roads not normally taken I was forced to use the A59 this morning due to the normal cycling route westwards from Harrogate being closed to allow for the masses going to a recycling site, nearly 2 hours worth of queuing traffic at times for it. Two passing vehicles were a smidge close but not in the **$$** form while a good number passed completely the wrong side of the centre markings. Did ponder why their is no projecting light for bicycles marking out the requisite distance a it like those clocks that project onto ceiling.

Jody

Stubborn git
I've had a couple of dangerous passes in the last week that have left me wondering whether to sell my road bike or not. Both absolutely deliberate. One could have put me in hospital the other would have left various parts of me to put in a coffin.

As a rule people seem to have been a lot more considerate in the last two months but it only takes one person to kill you.

Yes I have. It’s because the idiots in their murder boxes have been off the road for a couple of weeks, so have forgotten how to drive. I drive, and I ride, I’ve not been off the road at all, so I’ve not forgotten how to drive.

Brandane

Legendary Member
I don't think anyone forgets how to drive in a week or two, or even a month or two.
These motons couldn't drive before lockdown, and they still can't.

Arjimlad

Tights of Cydonia
I have reported way fewer close passes than normal on my regular 20 mile exercise rides as opposed to my commutes, but I think that is probably due to lower traffic densities. I was cycling with my son on Monday evening when an oncoming driver deliberately crossed the white line towards me making a gesture, to scare me off riding 2 abreast. It was a near-miss. I fully expected him to stay on his own side of the road. There was no vehicle behind us at all, which could have been inconvenienced by our riding 2 abreast.

roubaixtuesday

self serving virtue signaller
There is a widespread misunderstanding by motorists on two abreast, really needs publicising somehow.

I agree that there's a misunderstanding on that specific point, but I fear that if that was corrected, something else would take its place.

The fundamental issue is that many, perhaps even most people who drive cars simply do not accept that others have equal rights to use the road. Indeed, it never even occurs to them that this could be the case.

Thus, cyclists are at best tolerated as a nuisance. Cycle lanes are built not as a means to improve the life of cyclists, but to get them out of the way of motorists. Cyclists are vilified for low risk infractions of rules, whereas motorists high risk behaviours are widely tolerated or even encouraged, by, for instance, publicising speed camera locations. Checks on motorist behaviours are regarded as an infringement of civil liberties, but removal of the lives of cyclists as an unfortunate side issue.

Hmm, not sure where that rant came from. As you were.

OP
OP
avecReynolds531

avecReynolds531

Veteran
A small update: it's been better recently & I often carry an orange pannier on the right side of the rear rack, giving a little extra space.....

...until we were out today - 4 close passes in a half afternoon isn't great.
3 were following each other & they just had to get past us before an oncoming car & potential head on crash.

Hope it's not been like this for everyone...

Keep safe!

i get close passes a lot 😔 couple of long straight roads i've to go on before getting to quieter roads so you get the drivers with 'as fast as possible' mindset. i like the term 'punishment pass' too, definitely a lot of that goes on
it can be a white knuckle ride hearing the car approaching at speed from behind, will they be going as close as possible, will they be nice and move over the white line 🤔😧

generally what i feel is most drivers just don't care, whatever it takes to get round you. shame as cycling used to be fun.
very hard not to give a salute to those that near kill you, i mean how else will they know? but it's likely just to make them hate cyclists more. they are clearly damaged anyway :cursing:

i have been thinking of taking the fight to the drivers, the nice ones anyway, and giving a wave for a respectful pass when appropriate..?
did it with a guy who was pulling out of his drive, he pulled his nose back in for me to pass, i waved. then he passed me with loads of room on up the road 👍

Top Bottom