Increased police presence.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

EthelF

Rain God
The requirement is to stop before the white line.

Squash it is then. Somewhat grimly appropriate.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
The Police seemed to have disappeared this morning. Perhaps they were all bored and decided to sit in a local cafe instead.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

The Police seemed to have disappeared this morning. Perhaps they were all bored and decided to sit in a local cafe instead.

I haven't seen any police all week, well I saw one cycling down past Kennington Tube yesterday but nothing else and I'm cycling main routes through Westminster...

Not really. The reasearch was carried out using various outfits, all of which were hi-viz. None of them were dark clothes. As it measrured overtaking it assumes the motorist had already seen them. The point of hi-viz, IMO, is for the extremely rare times when you would not be seen in dark clothes (perhaps a door mirror in the dark when raining with rear car dazzling with its lights) , but I wear it on dark days because I believe these rare occassions have serious enugh consequences to warrent it.

Bored looking PO in Mortlake this morning on the junction between Clifford Avenue and Mortlake Road.

Didn't do anything about pavement riding cyclist across the road...

MichaelO

Veteran
Saw two at the Tooting Broadway junction, but then no more all the way into Victoria. Maybe they don't like damp mornings..

Frood42

I know where my towel is
There have been officers in Ilford all this week by Mill House on Ilford Hill (A118), pulling over cars, I think its more of the same insurance/tax/MOT checking rather than anything else, as we regularly see checkpoints set up on the A118 Romford Rd heading towards Stratford, just after the lights where the A406 North Circular entry/exit is.

I have also seen motorbike officers parked up on the A13 (Newham Way)/A117 (High Street South) junction, where there are a whole set of lights and a flyover, they are usually parked on the pedestrian/cycle shared pavement area.

I go from South Woodford to Tower Hill (via CS2/CS3), then Tower Hill to Ilford (via CS3), its about 20 miles, and I do not normally seen any officers about, until I get to Ilford that is... but I suspect they may go soon as well, probably end of the week, but we shall see.

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
Taken in a PITCH black hallway. If i get pulled for not wearing hi-viz i'll tell him/her to foxtrot oscar!!!! View attachment 33174

Being seen in the pitch black is easy, the challenge is being seen when there are a lot of other lights around you - usually more powerful. Drivers don't need to be using headlights on well-lit 30mph streets, that would let us have a better chance of being seen when appropriately lit.

GC

Ace Ventura

PCSO tried telling two cyclists off for waiting in front of the bike box at Tooting Broadway crossroads last night...they ripped her a new one pointing out that it would be more productive if she bollocked the cars parked in the box, preventing them from waiting there, instead.

Ace Ventura

2791385 said:
Did they know that the cars had encroached illegally?
Yes the traffic was stationery when we all arrived at the junction, and as two cars had filled the box, two of the cyclists filtered past them and the box all in view of the PCSO. She was stood stoically with hands in her pocket, like a covent garden mime and only came to life when bikes went through. They weren't looking to jump lights and make it across the junction, just creating their own ASL which they thought entitled to.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Yes the traffic was stationery when we all arrived at the junction, and as two cars had filled the box, two of the cyclists filtered past them and the box all in view of the PCSO. She was stood stoically with hands in her pocket, like a covent garden mime and only came to life when bikes went through. They weren't looking to jump lights and make it across the junction, just creating their own ASL which they thought entitled to.

I think he means that it is possible that they might have been moving slowly through the ASL or stationary within it when the lights changed, so might not have entered it deliberately with the intention of stopping within it. Nevertheless I don't think it's acceptable to harass cyclists for being beyond the ASL when it is occupied by cars.

Frood42

I know where my towel is

They weren't looking to jump the lights, but the simple act of crossing that second line is jumping the red lights regardless of if a vehicle is in it or not, they are not enititled to do that, yet.
Two wrongs and all that ;)

I do not like it either when cars take up the ASL, and this behaviour of ignoring them does need stamping out, it really does show poor planning skills from the driver involved, a case of not caring about others safety, or just plain ignorance, all of which are bad, BUT there are cases when it is not illegal to enter the ASL.
http://content.met.police.uk/Article/Advanced-Stop-Lines/1400018009433/1400018009433
https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/road-junctions-170-to-183 (178 - Laws RTA 1988 sect 36 & TSRGD regs 10, 36(1) & 43(2)).

My solution is to take up a primary position somewhere in the queue, or to filter up the outside, but if I see a long queue of cars I am always looking for a gap where I can fit in primary or a safe place in a visible position in front of a driver, so as not to be reliant on these ASL's.
I filter down the outside as the drivers seem to be more prone to checking for scooters and motorbikes coming down that side.

A couple of links I like which talk about filtering, communicating and making eye contact (although I find making eye contact seems to work better in queues, than some other scenarios), more for newcomers, this may not be yourself.
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/co...Effective-Traffic-Riding-Part-2---Filtering-0
http://www.britishcycling.org.uk/cy...Bitesize-Bikeability-Part-3---Communication-0

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It is when it starts getting close to the dotted pedestrian crossing zone who need a clear gap from traffic to be seen and cross safely.
Yes fair enough. I really meant that it's a suitable area for exercising discretion, rather than one about the letter of the law. I often stop ahead of the line for one reason and another whether there is an ASL or not, but one shouldn't get in the way of pedestrians or into the path of traffic that has a green signal.

Top Bottom