Increased police presence.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Domeo

[QUOTE 2793133, member: 1314"]I’ve divided the coppers into 4 types.

Type 1: The Clint Eastwood. These are the bikers, they lounge as though the task is below them, in leathers with steel kneecaps, looking bulky and macho, waiting to put their machismo on the line. They don’t hand out flyers as that’s too effeminate.

Type 2: The driver. Normally about 4 foot tall and five foot wide. Stops mini-cabs, smart cars and mopeds and talks a lot to make up for his lack of machismo.

(Sorry but the above 2 types I see have all been blokes).

Type 3: The PCSO. Well, they’re just out shopping. Innit.

Type 4: The plebgate lot at Downing St. I cycled past them this morning and noticed they were the only coppers I’ve seen in London not in hi viz. Hmmm...[/quote]

Type 5: Rambo wanna be with a large gun and small willies as can be seen toteting around mainline train termini

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Andrew Gilligan on BBC London this morning said he's asked the Met not to focus so much on the non-helmet and non-hi-viz cyclists.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Meanwhile, in Aberdeen, the coppers are handing out free bike lights... http://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/new...s-and-cyclists-riding-without-lights-1.159461
:banghead:

I personally think it is good they are giving out lights and are targetting speeding drivers.
At least they are not handing out leaflets about pieces of flourescent clothing...

I would love to see more of a crack down on speeders, the number of idiots doing more than 30mph on residential streets beggars belief sometimes here in London, and even more annoying in areas which are 20mph and are known to be popular with walkers, joggers and cyclists... why do they have to speed and use those areas as rat runs :wacko: :angry:

Frood42

I know where my towel is
OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Andrew Gilligan, the more I read, the more I dislike this fellow...
I was just reading about CS5, do they really think those using Vauxhall bridge are suddenly going to switch, especially when the plans seem to mainly call for some blue paint..?

http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2013/11/04/superhighway-5-on-diversion/

I hadn't seen this. Not sure about the route up to Victoria but the existing cycle lane on the bridge is so narrow that I'm scared to cycle over this bridge, the traffic comes SO close to you and it's travelling at speed...

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I hadn't seen this. Not sure about the route up to Victoria but the existing cycle lane on the bridge is so narrow that I'm scared to cycle over this bridge, the traffic comes SO close to you and it's travelling at speed...

You use the cycle lane..?
I don't use this bridge very often at all, I have done off peak, and I tend to stick to the right of the cycle lane.

However, if the people who currently using it are willing to do so under "those" conditions, why would they suddenly switch to an alternative that consists of blue paint splattered on the road..?

Just look at the disaster that is the CS2 and the CS2 extension, TFL cannot even get segregated facilities right, whatever happened to "lessons learned"...?

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

You use the cycle lane..?
I don't use this bridge very often at all, I have done off peak, and I tend to stick to the right of the cycle lane.

However, if the people who currently using it are willing to do so under "those" conditions, why would they suddenly switch to an alternative that consists of blue paint splattered on the road..?

Just look at the disaster that is the CS2 and the CS2 extension, TFL cannot even get segregated facilities right, whatever happened to "lessons learned"...?

Well, I say use, I've used it twice (going South) and I really didn't feel safe.

Maybe one physically segregated cycle lane would be good over every 2nd or 3rd bridge over the river?

newfhouse

Resolutely on topic
It's narrow southbound but you do know you can ignore it and take the lane proper, don't you?

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Well, I say use, I've used it twice (going South) and I really didn't feel safe.

Maybe one physically segregated cycle lane would be good over every 2nd or 3rd bridge over the river?

I thought the original plans were a good start, but it again comes down to not wanting to interfere with traffic flow of motor vehicles.
sigh.

http://aseasyasridingabike.wordpress.com/2013/11/04/superhighway-5-on-diversion/

I just think London really needs to start now to lessen its ties to single occupancy motor vehicles, and that we need to start using the stick more...
However the designers at TFL, Boris and Andrew just don't seem to have the drive to do anything expect put in paint...

This quote says it all really, no drive from Andrew at all, and it really does show what is the priority, not space for people, but space for cars...
If they were really worried about rat-running through Pimlico they could also introduce other measures around their to make it less inviting to cars.

Sod congestion, lets use congestion as a way to get people using other forms of transport...

… cycle superhighway 5 was planned to come from New Cross and Peckham, over Vauxhall Bridge and up Vauxhall Bridge Road, ending at Victoria.

Nobody liked that idea much, frankly. We would have had to remove some general traffic space on Vauxhall Bridge Road. Both Westminster City Council and local residents feared that that would cause extra congestion on the road itself, and lead to rat-running through Pimlico’s residential streets.

I didn’t much like the prospect of cyclists using Vauxhall Bridge Road, which is extremely busy and in the northbound direction requires you to cycle into the middle of the road, often in heavy traffic, to avoid being taken left into Drummond Gate.

There’s also the Victoria end itself, which requires cyclists to navigate one of central London’s worst gyratories, especially chaotic at the moment (and for years to come) with the station rebuilding works.

Top Bottom