Increased police presence.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

I know it'll never happen but wouldn't it be wonderful to have a couple of cyclist-only tunnels under the river? Ahhh nirvana! ^_^

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I know it'll never happen but wouldn't it be wonderful to have a couple of cyclist-only tunnels under the river? Ahhh nirvana! ^_^

New bridges instead? I prefer the fresh air and not having to worry about lifts or "youths"...

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

New bridges instead? I prefer the fresh air and not having to worry about lifts or "youths"...

Yeh, I suppose new bridges are cheaper. We're not supposed to cycle over the Hungerford are we? and I doubt very much they'd allow it over the Millenium one...

I remember reading that the cost for the congestion charge cameras was part funded by the Met as they've put high-res cameras on each plate-camera getting the face of the driver for security. Surely it wouldn't cost too much to change to adapt it to check for single occupancy and charge extra? In the US they (or at least used to) have multi-occupancy only lanes. This would help quite a lot with congestion.

Brains

Legendary Member
We do already.
Woolwich and Greenwich
OK, so people are allowed to walk through them as well, but cyclists outnumber walkers ten to one

However I agree we need a few more of these tunnels and with ramps up and down not lifts

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

We do already.
Woolwich and Greenwich
OK, so people are allowed to walk through them as well, but cyclists outnumber walkers ten to one

However I agree we need a few more of these tunnels and with ramps up and down not lifts

I suppose you can cycle through the Rotherhithe too, but these are all East London...

Brains

Legendary Member
I didn't think you could cycle in either tunnel...
You not supposed to actually ride the bike through the tunnels, pushing the bike is actively encouraged, most of the riders seem to be considerate to the walkers, and outside the rush hours there is no harm in riding through

Frood42

I know where my towel is
You not supposed to actually ride the bike through the tunnels, pushing the bike is actively encouraged, most of the riders seem to be considerate to the walkers, and outside the rush hours there is no harm in riding through

Yes, I just remembered the last time I went through it was no cycling, I was walking at the time, the tunnel was a mess, especially the lifts!
Didn't really tempt me back... either by foot or by bike. I keep looking for updates on the website about the refurbishment, but it doesn't appear to be going well and it looks like they have put in some barriers...

Brains

Legendary Member
Yes, I just remembered the last time I went through it was no cycling, I was walking at the time, the tunnel was a mess, especially the lifts!
Didn't really tempt me back... either by foot or by bike. I keep looking for updates on the website about the refurbishment, but it doesn't appear to be going well and it looks like they have put in some barriers...
The tunnel WILL be ready for the Olympics !
on a serious note, they have just restarted the refurb, so the barriers have gone, the lifts work most of the time, and they have started to clean up the tunnel.
The stairs are still a complete dogs dinner though, but the Greenwich tunnel at least is fully usable by cyclists (and walkers), I'm not sure of the latest situation with Woolwich though

Tim Hall

2800254 said:
Many years ago I saw a cyclist arrive at the lift in the Greenwich tunnel. The lift operator accused him of having ridden through and refused to let him in the lift. He suggested that, if the bloke didn't like it, he would see him at the top where they could sort it out.
I've carried the Pino up the stairs at the Greenwich tunnel. Not because I was naughty, but the lift was u/s. Find the balance point, hoik the bike and trudge away.

2800254 said:
Many years ago I saw a cyclist arrive at the lift in the Greenwich tunnel. The lift operator accused him of having ridden through and refused to let him in the lift. He suggested that, if the bloke didn't like it, he would see him at the top where they could sort it out.

I've seen a full-on fist fight between a cyclist and the attendant, no idea what it was about.

Top Bottom