Increased police presence.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
I guess the difference between a car and a bike is the car's built in ability to power the lights so you have a good point. I still think it'd be good to have a BS minimum set of lights fitted as standard. I mean, you can't make someone fit batteries, you can't even make them switch the damn things on but at least it's one less excuse - and as I say, it's a legal requirement and you can't buy a car without lights/seat belts/air bags etc. these days...

Yes, but cars need lights so that drivers don't drive into buildings or signs, and so pedestrians can see them coming :laugh:

The idea of fitting lights is nice, a bit like fitting reflectors and bells, but as with wheel reflectors they will just get removed.
I don't really see an argument against except the human factor, extra cost on the bike when they only ride during the day, and the trash factor...

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

2801796 said:
I don't care. Cyclist, writing on a cycling forum, with a cyclist point of view.

Good for you mate, I mean why would anyone ever look at anything outside their own interest? That'd be utter madness.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

2801842 said:
Along with the comparison to car lights, that is a second irelevancy.

Bicycles are the only vehicles on the road and why should we consider anything else or any other comparable legalities, no I agree with you Adrian.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

2801863 said:
You are just being silly now. Cars pretty much all* have permanent lights for good reason. Bikes don't for equally good reason. The comparison between them is irrelevant.

* Lots of the cars doing the veteran car run use bike lights attached with zip ties.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.:thumbsup:

In Oxford they did a thing where they would stop cyclists without lights at night but would let them off paying the fine if they brought a receipt showing they had bought lights to a police station within 7 days or something like that.

Dan B

Disengaged member
Here is an even better idea, how about people take responsibility for their own safety and buy lights themselves.
Here is an idea which surpasses both of your ideas in goodness: how about people take responsibility for their own safety and for the risks they bring to others' safety: I'll fit the lights and mirrors I need to see where I'm going and stop running into people, and Mr Truck Driver can fit the lights and mirrors he needs to see where he's going and stop running into people.

stowie

Legendary Member
I like Adrian's idea of giving out lights. In response to the question why should the taxpayer pay, well because the government (supposedly) wants to encourage cycling to keep the population healthy and congestion down and taking away someone's bike isn't likely to achieve that aim. Give them some lights and they may use them and continue cycling.

I do see a flaw though. What is stopping people deliberately going past checkpoints without lights in order to get a free set? I imagine some people deciding to go out with no lights, clad from head to toe in black and searching out a policeman to stop them to get some free high viz and lights.

L14M

Über Member
I saw a biker getting stopped today, was wearing a POLITE Vest, wonder why lol!

There were cyclists getting fined today for not having lights fitted to their bikes during daylight hours. Pretty sure those fines won't stand up on appeal.

Really? I can't see how on earth it will stand up to an appeal if it's not illegal.
Chap on FB says he got fined £50 at 08:20 this morning (sunrise was 07:47). Personally I keep my lights on pretty much all the time in the winter - but still no legal imperative to do so according to the CTC

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Chap on FB says he got fined £50 at 08:20 this morning (sunrise was 07:47). Personally I keep my lights on pretty much all the time in the winter - but still no legal imperative to do so according to the CTC

I have been running my lights on my morning commute 7.30 to 9am. Just to cut through the gloom. However, I am still amazed that someone would actually accept a fine. I would kick up such a fuss and probably get arrested lol

400bhp

Guru

IIRC "night" is classed as 1/2 hour after sunrise and 1/2 hour before sunset. Still falls outside it though?

Top Bottom