Increased police presence.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Some of it would be quite uplifting

stowie

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2801097, member: 1314"]I've got this great idea to improve safety. Why not campaign for Local Authorities to give out cheap lights?[/quote]

Could we not give out night vision goggles to motorists?

spen666

Legendary Member
[QUOTE 2801097, member: 1314"]I've got this great idea to improve safety. Why not campaign for Local Authorities to give out cheap lights?[/quote]
Here is an even better idea, how about people take responsibility for their own safety and buy lights themselves.

Why should the tax payer fund those who won't pay to keep themselves safe.

I'd go the opposite way and give the police immediate powers to confiscate bikes without lights

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Here is an even better idea, how about people take responsibility for their own safety and buy lights themselves.

Why should the tax payer fund those who won't pay to keep themselves safe.

I'd go the opposite way and give the police immediate powers to confiscate bikes without lights

Why don't they just fit all bikes with lights as standard? Same with cars, it's a legal requirement to have them and if you want to change them later to something different or better then you can.

sazzaa

What does handing out lights teach anyone? If it's against the law then people cycling without lights should be prosecuted.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Why don't they just fit all bikes with lights as standard? Same with cars, it's a legal requirement to have them and if you want to change them later to something different or better then you can.

Thing is, the sort of lights they would most likely fit would end up in the trash!
Would they have to provide the batteries as well..?

Frood42

I know where my towel is
2801762 said:
How much would that cost us in lost useable police manpower while they take the bike to the bike pound? How much to deal with administration etc?

Probably cheaper than putting a car onto a flat bed tow truck..?
Although with the choice between one or the other I would rather see cars taken off the road due to the danger they can present.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Thing is, the sort of lights they would most likely fit would end up in the trash!
Would they have to provide the batteries as well..?

I guess the difference between a car and a bike is the car's built in ability to power the lights so you have a good point. I still think it'd be good to have a BS minimum set of lights fitted as standard. I mean, you can't make someone fit batteries, you can't even make them switch the damn things on but at least it's one less excuse - and as I say, it's a legal requirement and you can't buy a car without lights/seat belts/air bags etc. these days...

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

2801772 said:
Why should I have to have lights on a bike I have no intention of riding in the dark?

Why should I have lights fitted to my car, I have no intention of driving at night ^_^

Frood42

I know where my towel is
2801777 said:
Cheaper than a set of lights?

:laugh:

Of course not, but someone being given a cheap set of lights is no guarantee that they will use them or replace the batteries even if they did use them...
IMO most people without lights are going to be chancers rather than people ignorant of the law, but that is just my opinion...

endoman

Local police do just that, along with high vis vest / rucksack cover. Free.

Top Bottom