Increased police presence.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
[QUOTE 2777698, member: 259"]I meant it's wrong for the police to be wasting their valuable time telling people they should wear a helmet.[/quote]

Considering the copper when asked couldn't tell me what the minimum tested safety standard was for helmet's... no they shouldn't be wasting their valuable time on something they know nothing about.

Leodis

Veteran
I cycled past a HGV being stopped and inspected by the Met on Albert Embankment about 9.10 yesterday morning.

Maybe they were asking where to get the best bacon buttie from?

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Considering the copper when asked couldn't tell me what the minimum tested safety standard was for helmet's... no they shouldn't be wasting their valuable time on something they know nothing about.

Poor guy, not many people can quote British Standards from memory :-) Can I assume that it was a bit of a rhetorical question on your behalf given that if you had any interest in wearing a helmet, you would have one?

I think the police's official line with regards to helmets is to wear one and it's maybe then your choice whether to get one and if so, which one you'd like.

I imagine when they stopped the HGV's, they also gave advice about taking breaks and cycle awareness as well as checking the safety of the vehicle etc.

I think the holistic approach is a good one.

Frood42

I know where my towel is
It is nice to see an increased police presence and that HGV's were being checked.

However I do not expect to be pulled over and "given advice" on wearing Hi Viz and Helmets when I have a white front light, rear red light, rear red reflector and pedal reflectors...

I have a horrid yellow hump back pack cover, 3 rear lights and a Hope 1 light up front and all the required reflectors (including a front reflector which I don't need to have). The rest of my "cycling gear" (it's mostly actually running gear) is blue and black, through my own choice.
I will not be taken out by an observant driver, I will be taken out by someone checking twitter or their texts on their mobile.

I was pulled over by an officer about a month ago and asked if I would like a free service and to register my bike, I kindly declined and off I went...
I saw no reason to be impolite to that person, but I do not expect to be stopped while riding for that, if they want to put up a sign or ask me when I am stopped at lights that is fine, but as I have what I should have on my bike I do not expect to get stopped, but be allowed to go on my way...

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

It is nice to see an increased police presence and that HGV's were being checked.

However I do not expect to be pulled over and "given advice" on wearing Hi Viz and Helmets when I have a white front light, rear red light, rear red reflector and pedal reflectors...

I have a horrid yellow hump back pack cover, 3 rear lights and a Hope 1 light up front and all the required reflectors (including a front reflector which I don't need to have). The rest of my "cycling gear" (it's mostly actually running gear) is blue and black, through my own choice.
I will not be taken out by an observant driver, I will be taken out by someone checking twitter or their texts on their mobile.

I was pulled over by an officer about a month ago and asked if I would like a free service and to register my bike, I kindly declined and off I went...
I saw no reason to be impolite to that person, but I do not expect to be stopped while riding for that, if they want to put up a sign or ask me when I am stopped at lights that is fine, but as I have what I should have on my bike I do not expect to get stopped, but be allowed to go on my way...

Free service sounds good! And I had my bike marked and registered by the Met a while back, they have shed loads of bikes they recover from thieves that they can't re-home because they're not identifiable, registering it might mean you get your bike back.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It must be so hard to stop a bike and answer a question. I bet you would have been really cheesed off if he was handing out free ten pound notes and didnt stop you.

Actually it wasa free service.......thats just like ten pound notes.

I wear a viz vest but if I didnt and had all the correct lighting, i wouldnt want stopping on the way to work to be advised about it. I am an ex police officer and nobody was ever daft enough to give me that directive.

If the police decide to do a purge on cyclists without lights its ok by me. But there is no point is saying he stopped me for no lights but a HGV went by with a tail light out. Its petulent.

Why are you stopping me? Why dont you do something useful, like catching a murderer? He may have done that yesterday. I caught one. ;0)

Steve

Frood42

I know where my towel is
Free service sounds good! And I had my bike marked and registered by the Met a while back, they have shed loads of bikes they recover from thieves that they can't re-home because they're not identifiable, registering it might mean you get your bike back.

I already had it serviced, my normal intention is to get it serviced before and after autumn/winter by a bike shop (and at least twice a year by a bike shop), that is beyond whatever maintenance I do on it myself.

A sign telling me there was a free service available would have been better, especially as I was on my way to work, as someone who has commuted 7000+ miles this year on what can be busy fast roads I need a proper working bike...

Registering for me is not really something I am too concerned about, I have the bike frame number, and at work it is stored in a secure location (underground employee only card controlled car park) and at home it is stored in the house. My bike is not going to be the most valuable thing to hand for them to steal. When I go out at the weekends I am very deliberate about where I go and the bike does not leave my sight (unless it is locked up when I go into a superstore, but then it is locked securely with at least two different types of locks)...

Put a sign up, don't pull me over, especially when I am going to work...
It's great they are out, but they should be there to stop the blatant RLJ'ing, the going over the stop lines, the no lights etc..., don't pull over people who are actually complying, just because they don't have a helmet or a space lemon coloured jacket...

Last edited:

buggi

Bird Saviour
I don't find a plod telling me to wear a helmet or HiViz much help in stopping the root cause of the problem, if anything its very condescending towards cyclists.

Why would looking like a twat head to toe in Hiviz do anything? There is no evidence it makes the blindest bit of difference.
i had a cyclist at work tell me today a car pulled out on him when he was in primary, had full hi viz, two strong front lights. I told him to go stealth... Joking of course! (omg i hope he took it as a joke!)

buggi

Bird Saviour
the police should concentrate only on those breaking the law, not giving advice about what to wear or wearing headphones if that person is not breaking the law. Lack of helmets and hi viz, and wearing headphones is not breaking the law so they have no right going there. Lights yes (but it is not a requirement in the day). Bad cycling yes. Clothing no

Kies

was working late in Docklands today and followed the river all the way round to Earls Court before joining the A4/M4

suprised to see so many cyclists, saw 2 cyclists RLJ at the jct of Vauxhall Bridge & MillBank :eek
most had really good lights front/back - but a few had very poor rear lights and two girls in sit up and beg bikes had NO LIGHTS ... FFS luvies !!!!!

Top Bottom