Increased police presence.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

I'm suprised that no one has picked up on the lack of indicator use in London over the past few years. Most drivers see it as an optional extra and it causes me the most hassle on my commute to work. I would like to see a campaign and clamp down by police on people who don't use them. Even as a driver and pedestrian! never mind cycling.

Totally agree! It's especially prevalent among cabbies and hire car drivers. I asked a cab driver friend of mine if they disable the indicator lights in black cabs these days, cos that's what it seems like.

I don't see what the problem is, it can't use up much car battery and it's just a slight flick of your little finger huh?

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

Yeah but it might be better than turquoise under the same conditions...:ohmy:

This is assuming said ninja has no lights, if he's lit up like the proverbial Christmas tree then way-hay go Kate Moss!

One cyclist, Harriet Lamb, told us in an email of her experience of being stopped by police as she rode across Vauxhall Bridge, with an officer telling her: “Hi, we’re stopping all cyclists in light of the recent cyclist fatalities, to make sure that you’re making yourselves as safe as possible. Obviously it’s great that you have lights on and are wearing a helmet, but have you considered wearing a hi-viz jacket?”

She replied: “No, I’ve got really bright lights, reflective material on my coat and my bike, and I position myself in the road so that I can be seen.”

The officer then said: “I just think that if a driver wasn’t wearing their glasses then they might not be able to see you.”

Harriett asked him: “Do you not think that a driver driving around half-blind is more the problem?”

“Well, we’re just here to talk to cyclists,” continued the officer.

http://road.cc/content/news/99261-p...-targets-dozens-london-cyclists-lorry-drivers

Ganymede

Veteran

I thought this was interesting from the comments:

"A few years ago the Army started putting devices in the civilian cars to measure acceleration, cornering braking and was GPS enabled a box on the dash registered green, amber & red LED's more than 2 red LEDS during a journey when it was downloaded and you were called in to explain with the possibility of disciplinary action. All company vehicles should be fitted with them. Time people learnt that car is not God and a driving licence is a privilege and with it comes responsibility."

plus a mention of pursuing the drivers' employers if the drivers are found to have been making work calls while driving - ie if the employer requires the drivers to make calls during their journeys.

I once took a call from a delivery driver who asked for directions to my house (this was just pre-GPS) and said "hold on, I'll write this down". I realised he was on the phone and writing and still driving. I told him to concentrate on the road and I hung up. Gave him an earful when he arrived.

A friend says the cops were waiting at the west side of the Bow flyover last night and radioing ahead to colleagues waiting at the eastern end. Just cyclists targeted. This, where drivers killed three cyclists.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

A friend says the cops were waiting at the west side of the Bow flyover last night and radioing ahead to colleagues waiting at the eastern end. Just cyclists targeted. This, where drivers killed three cyclists.

If this is how it's going to be, it's such a shame and a wasted opportunity.

Maybe they're trying to put cyclists off cycling? Tbh, if I didn't have to cycle to work, I wouldn't do it now, all the hassle I get and now all these injuries and deaths just doesn't seem worth it.

Reports on Ken High St David, the cops are "advising" cyclists after parking just past the lights in the cycle lane, forcing riders out into traffic. Sheesh.

OP
OP
Davidsw8

Davidsw8

FFS :angry:

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
I'm not generally much of an activist, usually preferring to move information around, but I did write to Caroline Pidgeon last night about misguided policing. I'm now waiting for the webcast of Mayor's questions to come online. Maybe they'll focus a little bit more on what they're doing, or maybe they'll just disappear.

Twelve Spokes

Time to say goodbye again...
This morning at Stockwell lights the Police Support guy was having a word with a WVM about something he had done and I heard him mention 3 points (maybe he was talking about Chelsea's next fixture - who knows...). Nice to see them not only targetting cyclists this morning. Perhaps they have received feedback similar to some of this thread, or maybe it was just a coincidence.

Chelski's next fixture = 1 point.

Blimey they'd catch me easily if I had been a naughty gal.My bike isn't really distinctive is it?:whistle:

Last edited:

Dmcd33

Totally agree! It's especially prevalent among cabbies and hire car drivers. I asked a cab driver friend of mine if they disable the indicator lights in black cabs these days, cos that's what it seems like.

I don't see what the problem is, it can't use up much car battery and it's just a slight flick of your little finger huh?

I think you would be hard pressed to find a car driver who didn't agree that not indicating is a major problem on the roads. Even those that use them wait until they have turned the wheel, or are about to, before using it.
Public advertising campaign is probably the only practical way of dealing with it. Maybe the adverts should be between the 25 gambling adverts between football matches?

PK99

Legendary Member
I'm suprised that no one has picked up on the lack of indicator use in London over the past few years. Most drivers see it as an optional extra and it causes me the most hassle on my commute to work. I would like to see a campaign and clamp down by police on people who don't use them. Even as a driver and pedestrian! never mind cycling.

Cyclists too! Interesting to observe in the many CommuterCam videos on you tube how many cyclists (incidental to the point of the footage) fail to indicate or shoulder check when pulling out past stopped traffic or changing lanes

Top Bottom